My dog knocked over one of my piles.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I have a black lab who has decided his mission in life is to hunt and catch those wood rats that reside in my piles. Last night as he was digging at the end of a row, it toppled over. He got out of the way quickly but it did pizz me off. I do get a little concerned when this fool dog starts climbing on my 6 foot tall pile of large rounds.

Same here, I have a chacolate lab and a yellow lab and they hate chipmunks. So if they hide in the wood pile, the pile is always knock down. They do get them regularly. One dog on each side.

Hook the dogs leash up to a big log that should slow him down and he will gain respect for the wood. :bug:

Lead Pill
If you want to be nice some cayenne pepper.........think it would keep the chippies out too

"I do get a little concerned when this fool dog starts climbing on my 6 foot tall pile of large rounds." Mine does (used to do) this all the time after chipmunks. Her front leg stopped working and the vet attributed it to a blunt force trauma. She yelped one day when I was cutting wood and apparently a she pulled out one round and another rolled down and hit her leg. Longer story shorted, it cut the nerve and now she's a three-wheeler. She still gets around fine, just s-l-o-w-e-r! Shes a black lab, too!

I think its hard-wired for dogs to chase that kind of stuff. They can't help it...there's no "I think I'll chase that ______"...its just SQUIRREL!!!! and off to the races. My lab does the same thing but hasn't knocked down my woodpile...yet...

All you have to do is teach your dog how to stack wood. :coolsmirk:

I would rather have my dog knock down one of my piles than stepping in one of his piles. :lol:

My dog has never toppled an entire stack but both she and the cat have managed to pull down a few splits when they jump up on top of the stack. My outdoor stacks are just 4 feet high but in the shed they are over 9 feet high.

Must be something in common with all breeds. My GSD had the wood pile fall on her trying to get a hockey puck from under the pallet, she lived just ran a little sideways. Could never tell if she was looking at you or not. Of course there was nothing the vet could do except shnd her to Cornell.

When I was a kid our black lab would run like hell out in to the yard and chase them squirrels. Well one morning that silly dog actually got one and it fought like hell to escape so he gave a few neck checks and on one of them it got out of his mouth and flew just high enough to grab a branch and got away. The fool had no idea what had happened all he knew was it was in his mouth and dissapeared, the look on hs face was priceless.
My Dobermans have always been curious with small animals. Starting soon I'll have wood stacked in the back yard and will be interesting to see what shows up and how the dumb dumb in my avatar will react.

My cat brought me a dead chipmunk as a gift in the fall. After she laid it down she was totally pissed that it wouldn't get up and play anymore.

Your lucky the cat brought you a dead one. A few years ago I let the cat in before going to bed, pretty dark on the back porch. I get in bed and hear the cat chasing something around the bedroom. First thought is he's playing with one of his catnip toys, I want to get to sleep so turn on the light to take the toy away and hide it. Turns out the toy is a live field mouse, sitting there wide eyed cornered by the cat. Would have made a real funny video of me trying to catch that mouse before the cat did. Finally caught it in the bathroom, and let him go outside. Previous cats have brought home live chipmunks, moles, birds, baby rabbit even.

With a cat and two West Highland Terriers the critters in the woodpile either don't last very long, or they move on to safer abodes.

Adkjake said:
Your lucky the cat brought you a dead one.
Previous cats have brought home live chipmunks, moles, birds, baby rabbit even.
Ja, we learned always to check the cat's mouth before letting it in. We had one cat drag home an adult rabbit. The darn thing was bigger than the cat. The dog dragged home an adult deer. What a mess that was in the yard.

Adios Pantalones said:
Chipmunk would drag my dogs into the pile and eat them.

Now that was funny! :lol: I have always like this pic! :cheese:

Attachments

• Lab.jpg
    Lab.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 646
Are your stacks on pallets?

My chocolate lab likes to chase the chipmunks, ground hogs, and snakes - all the wood pile critters. She also like to chew wood and bark. She will tug and pull a split right out of the middle of the stack. It's just a matter of time - before she has some come down on her. She'll learn.

There were a few splits on the ground at the end of my stack yesterday. I guess I should ask my Black Lab if he knows what happened. He has been known to play with "Chippy".

Adkjake said:
Your lucky the cat brought you a dead one. A few years ago I let the cat in before going to bed, pretty dark on the back porch. I get in bed and hear the cat chasing something around the bedroom. First thought is he's playing with one of his catnip toys, I want to get to sleep so turn on the light to take the toy away and hide it. Turns out the toy is a live field mouse, sitting there wide eyed cornered by the cat. Would have made a real funny video of me trying to catch that mouse before the cat did. Finally caught it in the bathroom, and let him go outside. Previous cats have brought home live chipmunks, moles, birds, baby rabbit even.

With a cat and two West Highland Terriers the critters in the woodpile either don't last very long, or they move on to safer abodes.

Yeah this is the first year for Michelle staying in the basement at night. Three times I have opened the door and she hauled butt in with a mouse in her mouth. I have learned to look through the window on the door before opening it.

I am still learning. Only pet I have ever had in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.