My Earth Stove Project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blazzinghot

Feeling the Heat
Dec 5, 2019
New Plymouth, Idaho
I built a wood stove somewhat like a Kimberly and traded it for an Earth Stove. I was going to make a cat stove out of this one but the metal was as sturdy as I would have liked. When I first got the stove it was a mess. I cut out most of the back and welded in a whole new thicker piece of metal. I took of the hood and put in a secondary burn system and added a stainless steel to the tray below the window. I had some wood stove insulation from another job so stuffed it on the sides where the round pipe are to seal any leaks. Sold it about a month ago but thought I would share how what I did to this stove. I changed the way the primary air came into the stove as it was filling with ashes and was plugged up. Now it lets air in at the bottom and top of the window. I put stainless steel plate over the burners with a ceramic board to hold in the heat for a hotter secondary burn. Put in new angle iron inside and put the bricks upright instead of sideways as you see in the first picture. The handle on the wood stove is a table leg I purchased at Lowes. So far I have gotten four handles form a this one table leg.

Before Picture .jpg Burners Installed .jpg Earth Top Removed .jpg Front Left Side .jpg Fire close .jpg Front finished .jpg

Nice.

Did you see increased burn time with the tubes?

MR.GLO sorry to say I was not able to do a comparison as I don't know how long this stove would burn wood before I changed it. When I tested the stove I had a seven foot stack on it outside and put in some pine pieces to help get a good bed of coals. Then I put in about three pieces of Popular about 3 inch rounds of wood and the stove got up to 600 degrees with a smoke free stack. It burned for about three hours and the stove was down to about 250 degrees. But I can say the secondary burners were working great and doing what they were supposed to do.

Reactions: MR. GLO