My Eburn 150 setup w/500 gallon storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
Someone had suggested that I post my layout for reference purposes. It's not exact, but it's as close as I can do with MS Paint. It's kind of a "Simplest Pressurized System" and Piker's personal layout put together. The closely spaced tees by the storage tank work well. I have a small diameter transfer run to the house (1" pex). There is only a Taco 007 on that run also. The boiler's main circ (also a 007) circulates water faster than the transfer circ so it ends up charging the storage with whatever the transfer circ can't take. Not bad, but not a great scenario either.

Attachments

• Future Heating System.jpg
    Future Heating System.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 525
Thanks for the post of your layout Norm. It looks fairly close to what I am geting ready to put in, which is reassuring. Water to air hx getting ordered tomorrow. After that only a few more parts, (chimney, couple circs, backflow preventer, a flat plate hx, and an aquastat or two and a bunch of valves) and I'm ready to assemble my Tarm and cut some pipe. Is your system putting out the heat you hoped it would?

Mike

Huskurdu said:
Someone had suggested that I post my layout for reference purposes. It's not exact, but it's as close as I can do with MS Paint. It's kind of a "Simplest Pressurized System" and Piker's personal layout put together. The closely spaced tees by the storage tank work well. I have a small diameter transfer run to the house (1" pex). There is only a Taco 007 on that run also. The boiler's main circ (also a 007) circulates water faster than the transfer circ so it ends up charging the storage with whatever the transfer circ can't take. Not bad, but not a great scenario either.

Looks great. Just out of curiosity, how is your setup 'not a great scenario'? Seems like it's doing exactly what you'd want. The only way I could see improving it would be to vary the circulator speeds so that the flow rate on each loop matches the heat transfer that's needed. If you have multiple zone valves in the house, the flow through the house loop will vary depending on the number of zones calling for heat, automatically diverting more (or less) of the boiler output to the house.

One of the big problems with any wood heat system is that the output of the boiler is almost never matched to the heat load of the house. Having the extra output automatically go to storage is exactly the right solution.

I would say mine is putting out the advertised amount of heat. Since I put in the bar. damper and new aquastat, and fixed the way the circs run, I'd say it is great. Considering I'm running storage I wish I'd gone with the next size up. But I saved a wad of money by buying mine second hand so it's hard to complain...
Thanks for the positive response,
np

dogwood said:
Thanks for the post of your layout Norm. It looks fairly close to what I am geting ready to put in, which is reassuring. Water to air hx getting ordered tomorrow. After that only a few more parts, (chimney, couple circs, backflow preventer, a flat plate hx, and an aquastat or two and a bunch of valves) and I'm ready to assemble my Tarm and cut some pipe. Is your system putting out the heat you hoped it would?

Mike

I wish my system was bigger so that I could store more heat. I wish my storage was bigger for similar reasons. I wish I'd buried 1.25" pex instead of 1". I have 4 zones in the house so it would make more sense to have some sort of variable speed circ feeding them...but...I can only push so many btu's through the 1" pex anyway. I'd have to upsize the pex, put in a variable speed circ, and drive my wife nuts (as well as most of the people I work with) talking about what I'm doing and boring the he!! out of them. :) I'm going to give them a break for a while.
I saw Piker say that he turned his electronic aquastat down to 160 degrees on another post and I've turned mine down also. It slows the induction fan and runs that way for hours and hours on a load. The flue temp still stays about 500-500 degrees so I know it's burning clean and hot. I filled it last night about 7pm and it was running @ 175 this morning @ 5am when I checked on it again. I should be able to coast till tonight again. I wish I had 1000 gallons of storage. I can't believe how a couple little fitting changes have really utilized the storage so well.
Pybyr's suggestion on my aquastat worked like a charm! It now shuts the boiler induction fan off @ 182 instead of 175. That saved me a $100 or so. Thanks Pybyr!

np

Huskurdu said:
Pybyr's suggestion on my aquastat worked like a charm! It now shuts the boiler induction fan off @ 182 instead of 175. That saved me a $100 or so. Thanks Pybyr!
np

good- glad that it helped!

My EBW is singing for the first time this season, and running sweetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.