My electric furnace coils aren't working. Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoismad

May 5, 2008
Ohio
I had a 13 SEER Goodman furnace installed in my house last august. The AC and heatpump worked great up until about november, then I switched over to just running the wood furnace. Finally in December I needed to leave for the day, and decided to kick on the electric backup for the day. And of course, it didn't work.

So, I gave the installer a call, and he came out and installed a new coil set and circuit board. I've used it twice in the last 2 months, and then went to use it again yesterday. And it didn't work again. Blower was blowing, but the house was getting colder and no warm air out of the vents.

I've taken several electronics courses when I was in college, and plan on hitting it with the volt and ohm tester tonight to see if anything on the circuit board looks like it blew. Does anyone know if this is a common problem and what the fix may be? I'm hoping its just a blown fuse or relay or something.

I'm sure you checked for power at the breakers, outdoor heat pump/AC disconnect and got 240 volts, and there is no snow buildup around the unit. you should have 240 going to your coil on the furnace some where too perhaps a disconnect or switch on the unit in addition to the regular 120 volt power. To test the unit and bypass the thermostat for now in most heat pump w/electric second stage situations you can open up the furnace cover, push in the safety door switch (if installed) you can tape or hold in for now, and run a jumper from the R and W to engage the first stage, If nothing try from R and W2. You should hear relays click to engage the electric coils. you may want to put a jumper from R and G to turn the fan on if it doesn't come on automatically. If you get heat it may just be a thermostat issue. I wish I could help you more good luck.

Any luck, yet?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.