my englander 30 hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 180 degrees F you are approaching where you can't hold your hand on something.

update : new carpet and trim.

View attachment 159060

It looks great to me. Very nice work.

Two comments though. I had to use four layers of durock to achieve the r value required. Are you sure your hearth meets that?

A fire extinguisher is a great idea, but you may want to station it *away* from the stove. If you ever need it, you want to be able to reach it.

Around 180 degrees F you are approaching where you can't hold your hand on something.

I've got pretty tough hands and my limit is about 160*.

Hands on for 10 seconds sounds to be around 145*

Two comments though. I had to use four layers of durock to achieve the r value required. Are you sure your hearth meets that?

With steel studs, mineral wool in the air space and then the cement board the hearth is well above the required R value.

On a surface with high transference, like steel, 140 will give a third degree burn in 5 seconds.

A fire extinguisher is a great idea, but you may want to station it *away* from the stove. If you ever need it, you want to be able to reach it.

a 1" ventilated air space is good for like 1.43 of the 1.5 required. each layer of durrock is good for .39. the mineral wool is good for about 3. so my pad has like a 5r value. and that's ceramic wool which is wayyyyy more heat resistant than fiberglass. 2 inches of it in my gas forge keeps the outside cool enough I haven't even burnt a sticker that's on the side of it.
http://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/k_values_what_does_it_all_mean

fire extinguisher wasn't mounted yet in that pic. I may change out the big 1 cause its old (but it still has a good charge) and the new smaller 1 looks a lot better.

Attachments

• 103_0660.JPG
    103_0660.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 259
  • 103_0661.JPG
    103_0661.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_0534.JPG
    100_0534.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
I've got pretty tough hands and my limit is about 160*.

Hands on for 10 seconds sounds to be around 145*
On a surface with high transference, like steel, 140 will give a third degree burn in 5 seconds.

"To the average person" says the interweb:)

I can promise you (from experience) hands on steel for ten seconds for me is about 145*f

I can promise you (from experience) hands on steel for ten seconds for me is about 145*f

As we say, pics or it didn't happen. ;lol

Reactions: tarzan

You may have built up a resistance to heat on the palm of your hands and fingertips , especially if you handle hot items often but have BB start dropping hot candle wax on your dangly bits and you'll be screaming like a little girl.

Reactions: tarzan
You may have built up a resistance to heat on the palm of your hands and fingertips , especially if you handle hot items often but have BB start dropping hot candle wax on your dangly bits and you'll be screaming like a little girl.

True. I got good at accurately judging temperature with my hand while monitoring bearings, transformers, electric motors etc. I also did lots of torch work and welding at the time. Burns don't seem to bother me now like they used to before then but I still just can't imagine a scenario where BB is dropping hot wax on any of my bits:) but I'd concur that if that were to happen, I would likely be screaming like a little girl!

a 1" ventilated air space is good for like 1.43 of the 1.5 required. each layer of durrock is good for .39. the mineral wool is good for about 3. so my pad has like a 5r value. and that's ceramic wool which is wayyyyy more heat resistant than fiberglass. 2 inches of it in my gas forge keeps the outside cool enough I haven't even burnt a sticker that's on the side of it.

Gotcha

My hearth is framed in wood, so I used lots of durock. I had not worked with steel studs, stuck with what I knew ;)

You did fine.

Gotcha

My hearth is framed in wood, so I used lots of durock. I had not worked with steel studs, stuck with what I knew ;)

yeah steel studs was new for me too. with the durrock and air space I had the 1.5 covered if it wasn't for the fact that the wool was free I probably would have skipped that step. but it was all new I just did a lot of searching for r values before I found a site that told me what the k factor was for the air gap and wool.

Status
Not open for further replies.