My Englander 55-SHP240L Help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MommyJen

Dec 22, 2009
Western NY
I have only had this stove for about 3 weeks. I am following the maintenance in the book, religiously. I have never owned a pellet stove before and just seem to be having soooo much trouble keeping this thing going! The stove goes out at least every three or 4 days on its own, for no apparent reason. I clean it again(although sometimes it is still perfectly clean from the daily cleaning), and then sometimes it starts right up...and sometimes it doesn't. Tonight it wouldn't start at all. Pellets were not dropping into the burnpot, so I assumed it was the auger. I scooped all of the pellets out (3 bags worth!!!), and vacuumed out the pellet holder to see the auger. It was full of pellets and after vacuuming those out I could see that the auger is turning, but pellets were not feeding into the pot still. Then I noticed that the top auger is not really connected to the bottom auger. It fits into it similiarly to a screwdriver in a screw, but they are not connected. I wonder if this is called a "floating auger", or is it actually supposed to be connected in some way? I can feel a hole in the pieces that fit together as though there maybe is supposed to be a screw holding the two pieces together? But I am not sure.

It seems that if they are not connected, there would be nothing stopping the top auger from just sitting on the pellets and not forcing them down to the pot. Any suggestions? I am new and already am ready to give up. I'm tired of waking up to a freezing cold building!! :( Thanks!

What did the tech at England's Stove Works say when you called that 800 number in the manual?

Well tech support was closed by the time I called tonight, so that is why I looked up this forum. I ended up just calling Lowe's, and they said that I can return the stove if I want because it has been less than 30 days. I am hoping there is a simple answer though, so that I don't need to return it?

Was there an error code displayed on the control panel, what settings were you running the stove, and also what does the manual for the stove say on the very first page?

Usually I get an E-2 code. I was running the stove at 5 for heat and 5 for blower, but it has been extremely cold this week and I ran it at 8 and 8. Not sure what you want from the first page of the manual?

MommyJen said:
Usually I get an E-2 code. I was running the stove at 5 for heat and 5 for blower, but it has been extremely cold this week and I ran it at 8 and 8. Not sure what you want from the first page of the manual?

The list of stoves the manual covers, your stove isn't on the manual page on their web site. I suspect it is the same as what was called 25-PUF which I have downloaded the manual for .. just getting my ducks in a row.

E-2 is failed to start... and the manual recommends that the stoves blower be run at 1 higher than the burn rate. I can see the possibility of an over fire shutdown at 5-5 or 8-8.

So you think I should try it at a burn rate of 8 and a blower rate of 9? I thought I read that manual so much I had it memorized!!! I thought I was supposed to have the burn and the blower equal..don't know where I got that? Any idea on the auger and why it would not be feeding the pot AND if its "broken", or a floating auger?

I only see one auger in the manual, so I can't comment on that. There is a mounting plate assembly a coupling and the auger from what I'm seeing. I would expect that the coupling would have a couple of set screws in it one to attach to the gear shaft with and the other to attach to the auger with. I 've never seen the insides of the stove you have.

Augers have been known to turn and not feed pellets because the pellets can get blocked by fines in the auger guide or tube. This normally happens at the lowest point of the auger, you can look down and see the auger actually turn but the pellets are not in the tube so don't get moved by the auger screw.

As for the E-2 a likely cause would be lack of pellet feed during startup or ash from the prior run blocks the igniter from lighting the pellets.

I guess you've called it a night. I'd try starting the stove up and setting the room blower at least one higher than the burn rate say 5-7. Do not leave the room until the stove lights and the room blower starts. Then you can turn the feed rate to 6 and let the stove run for a while. Also remember that when you open that hopper lid to add fuel you only have 1 minute before the stove will start the shut down sequence. 1 minute can go by fast when you are lifting a 40 lb floppy bag of pellets.

Thank you very much. I am still here. The stove is in my shop, not here in my home, so I will give it a try tomorrow. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again for your help!!!

MommyJen said:
Thank you very much. I am still here. The stove is in my shop, not here in my home, so I will give it a try tomorrow. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again for your help!!!

Ok, hope it helps.

are you sure its a PUF? not a PAH? anyway ,. either stove the auger should be coupled to the bottom coupler with a setscrew, this keeps the auger from walking upward and decoupling. if you can during the day call my shop at 800-245-6489 or if you have a daytime numbr you can send me via email check my sig block below and e mail me at the work e mail [email protected] if you have a day number i can call include it , i'll try to work in a call during the day to discuss the stove and hopefully solve your issue

stoveguy2esw said:
are you sure its a PUF? not a PAH? anyway ,. either stove the auger should be coupled to the bottom coupler with a setscrew, this keeps the auger from walking upward and decoupling. if you can during the day call my shop at 800-245-6489 or if you have a daytime numbr you can send me via email check my sig block below and e mail me at the work e mail [email protected] if you have a day number i can call include it , i'll try to work in a call during the day to discuss the stove and hopefully solve your issue

Evening Mike.

SmokeyTheBear said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Evening Mike.

hey smokey, thanks for the assist bro!!

Anytime, anytime. Wish those numbers wouldn't change all the time, it makes finding the correct manual a royal pain.

I'm packing it in, been a busy day, cleaning the house for guests.

MommyJen said:
Thank you, and I will give you a call tomorrow. I'd love to get this cleared up!! :)

ok good , look forward to it , i have a great staff im sure myself or my staff can get you up and running easily. should you get one of my techs and i do not hear from you personally let me know how it turns out , i am happier knowing that customers i interact with are taken care of, saves me wondering so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.