My Englander mistake...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Feeling the Heat
I guess we all make mistakes, some of us more then others. I recently purchased a 30NC to replace my Napoleon 1402 insert. I knew I need the 6 inch legs with the Englander to use it as a free standing stove in my fireplace. Well,,,guess what, my calculations were about 2 inches off, and the 30 won't fit the proper way. I had my stove guy here yesterday who gave me the bad news. Without modifying my hearth, it just can't be done. What an a*& I am !! So my new Englander is now for sale and it looks like I am going with a Regency I3100 insert in my fireplace. Its the biggest unit that will fit, 2.9cf firebox isn't that bad. I have a local dealer which is nice. Whats not so nice is the price tag. I can buy 3 Englanders for what the Regency is gonna cost me. But at least I know it will fit. I guess I will wait to change the stove in my signature until the Regency gets installed. Live and learn.

Your $$$$, your choice. I second Beetle Kills suggestion. I love my thirty in the fireplace. Lots of bang for the $$$$$. Went from a Regency Insert to it, and haven't looked back.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
IS there a difference between the pedestal and leg height? If not I'd cut the legs or have some made.

What is the height from the floor of the fireplace to the bottom of the lintel?

IS there a difference between the pedestal and leg height? If not I'd cut the legs or have some made.
Pedestal is about the same height as the 9" legs.

What is the construction of the fireplace floor? If solid concrete another option may be to bore 4 leg holes into the concrete 2" deep.

If you cut 3" off the legs will that affect opening the ash drawer?

Removing 3" would put you at just about the same depth as the ash drawer.

That's not good.

Well, he only needs to reduce the height by 2 inches. He can cut 2.5-2.75 inches and still have some air space between the ash drawer.

I'm not recommending he does it, but I would seriously consider it if I was in that situation.

Thanks for the responses. I thought about cutting the legs even shorter, but the ash drawer would just be to close to the floor. Interior of the firebox floor is brick. The installer just has no room to work with his hands to get the stove pipe attached once the stove is installed.

Wow does that stink!! I would be concerned about the insurance co voiding a claim if something would go bad

For a lot less than three grand a local shop can fab 3/8" plate steel legs any height he wants.

I only had three inches to work with. Actually I had to tip the stove back to clear the flue collar under the lintel sliding it into the fireplace. Installed the 30 degree angle elbow on the liner then slid the stove in and inserted the elbow as I slid it in. No fun but it worked.

That is why I want to know the lintel height.

Thanks Bart, I appreciate it. I have a housefull of company now, will measure tomorrow.

next suggestion- remove the ash drawer, weld in a block-off plate. This would not cost much.
Install stove body on wooden wedges, hook up flue pipe to stove and hammer wedges together to get the stove up to height.
install shortened legs and remove wedges, install the Micore if required.
Loss of the ash drawer wouldn't bug me at all.

next suggestion- remove the ash drawer, weld in a block-off plate. This would not cost much.
Install stove body on wooden wedges, hook up flue pipe to stove and hammer wedges together to get the stove up to height.
install shortened legs and remove wedges, install the Micore if required.
Loss of the ash drawer wouldn't bug me at all.

Won't work. The primary air intake box is behind that ash pan frame and about the same depth.

Lintel is just under 29 inches, couldn't help myself, had to measure !!

What about hooking up using a thimbal in the chimney??

That was my nightmare when I installed my PH. It fit, but not much wiggle room. My plan B was to install a thimbal.

Maybe you can attach the liner from inside the stove? When I was installing mine, I thought that I had to do it this way because of my clearance. Well, I did not but I made provisions for this. I attached my coupler to the stove predrilled the holes for the self-tappers so that I pull the liner with the coupler in to the stove then run the self tappers from the inside out. It would have worked, tight though.

When you want something to happen, you get crafty!

I have a housefull of company now, will measure tomorrow.

Perfect! Give them all work gloves and a hacksaw and start on those legs! ;)

Well, ya'll lost me at cutting the legs :) that was my first thought when I read the original post.

Won't work. The primary air intake box is behind that ash pan frame and about the same depth.
If the 30 is like the 13, I see what you're say'in. It won't work as I suggested. You are correct, I apologize.
But... if the 13 is the same as the 30, I have an idea. No, I won't publish my ignorance any further on these mods., but I do have an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.