my enviro 1700 wood burning insert installs today, any advice or things to look for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
my enviro 1700 wood burning insert is being installed into my zero clearance fireplace today.
i am wondering if a block off plate is required for this type of install, as the installers have stated a block off plate is not needed as the ZC fireplace already acts as a block off plate of sorts.
is this true?
also since i have a ZC fireplace, am i not able to install a flue thermometer?
i have read that having one will help create the ideal/most efficient burn.

anyone ahve any other tips or advice or things to look for/insist that the installers do?
this will be my first wood burning stove/insert.
im quite excited!
thanks

Congratulations on the stove! Hope it works super well for you.

From what I understand, if you're having a stainless steel flue liner installed that connects directly with your insert, there is no need for a block off plate. Otherwise if you are directly venting into the current flue - you need a block off plate of some sort. Your current situation may differ, but that's my understanding from what I've read. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am interested in how things go for you - I'm in the process of choosing a zero clearance insert that will do what your hoping to do with the Enviro 1700. Hope you can post some pictures of your install and some before/after shots - that would be very cool.

CJRages said:
Congratulations on the stove! Hope it works super well for you.

From what I understand, if you're having a stainless steel flue liner installed that connects directly with your insert, there is no need for a block off plate. Otherwise if you are directly venting into the current flue - you need a block off plate of some sort. Your current situation may differ, but that's my understanding from what I've read. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am interested in how things go for you - I'm in the process of choosing a zero clearance insert that will do what your hoping to do with the Enviro 1700. Hope you can post some pictures of your install and some before/after shots - that would be very cool.

ooh pictures and a full amatuer review/writeup will be done.
its the least i can do to help contribute to this forum.
this place is a vast wealth of knowledge that would otherwise take me many years to learn the hard way.

Dirtgrain said:
Eviro Kodiak or Venice? I'm shopping, and I was wondering what the differences are in the two models (other than appearance).

my model is the venice. it is the only one they have that is rated for zero clearance fireplace use.
thus far i love the thing. i just hope it puts out more heat when it is full of embers. it is putting out heat right now, but not so much as to cause me to feel overly warm just yet. it has only been running for about an hour or two now though...

DSCN5388.jpg

first attempt at burning.. utter FAILURE
wood was fairly wet. could not get it to remain lit.
DSCN5391.jpg

DSCN5395.jpg

toss those logs into the oven for an hour, and out they come, ready to burn...
DSCN5396.jpg

DSCN5393.jpg

DSCN5394.jpg

thanks again everyone for all the help. i would have given up long ago if it was not for this forum.
not to worry though, i plan on sticking around as i am sure i will have more questions as my burning career progresses..

looks great -

shouldn't you have done a few break in fires first?

I did do a break in to cure the paint. that was the first log that burned half way through, then went out.
then i built a little bigger fire. let that burn to embers and once all the embers were almost gone i put in 3-4 more logs which is shown in the photos...
the manufacturer did not state a break in was required, just to opena nd close the door to make sure the gasket did not stick to the paint as it cured.

How have you liked your Enviro Venice 1700 Insert? i have a majestic Sr-42 and ive been trying to figure out if I can install a wood insert into that model, or if im better off replacing the whole ZC unit with a high efficiency wood fireplace.

Id love to hear your feedback, and how complicated the install was. Ive installed into masonry fireplaces before, but never a ZC.

Very nice install.

That looks spectacular, thanks for posting the pictures. There's no need for a big break-in with a steel stove. The first small fire will dry out any remaining moisture in the bricks. Then bake the paint and rock and roll.

I think you'll need to put a thermometer on the face of the door in one of the top corners. The top has a convective cavity that will prevent getting a good reading there.

Is the chase insulated?

Heck that one is probably worn out and he is looking for the next one by now. ;lol

;em, been a very bad day. Maybe I should just retire with a bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.