1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My Enviro M55 install

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Chris Merrill, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Hi everyone. First and foremost I want to thank most of you for the information on this forum which helped me decide to go pellet and purchase an Enviro M55. The stove is on deposit and I decided to rip out my existing propane fireplace to install a zero clearance "box" for the insert. In an attempt to save money, I did the work myself using the installation manual as a reference and this forum for ideas. Again thank you. I put a before and after picture and promise a finished shot once the stove is installed.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Welcome Chris, Can't wait to see that purdy M55 in there! Looking good so far.
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep.. Welcome to the club. Lookin forward to some pics.

Beautiful work so far!! Does the manual give clearances and materials to use for a ZC Box?
  4. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    The manual gives clearances and materials. I made the enclosure a little bit bigger than the minimums listed to allow for future stove replacement if necessary. I made the enclosure substantially deeper than minimum and installed a metal boxed outlet towards the back. I'm not sure if this will work to supply power. I hope it works because I know of no other way to supply power without the cord being seen.
  5. vinny11950

vinny11950 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    looking good. nice setup. welcome.
  6. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Okay, the fireplace is finished and the M55 is sitting in my garage. I decided to do the install myself and now waiting for the vent material to arrive. 2013-02-13 20.20.09.jpg
    Brokenwing and DexterDay like this.
  7. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    If you don't mind me asking, what is the brand of the veneer stone you faced the brick with?

Looks very nice, I especially like the lights under the mantel.
  8. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Thanks. I actually had to rip off the brick in order to get the propane fireplace out. I got the veneer from Lowe's. They carry two different types and it comes in 6x14 inch tiles.
  9. smoke show

smoke show Guest

looks good. plz do post burning pics when done.
  10. vinny11950

vinny11950 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    oh come on, that looks way too nice. not fair.

seriously, congrats.

like Smoke Show said, please post some burning pics.
  11. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    That is gorgeous, can you post a link to lowes of what you have used. I have been looking at stonecraft I believe it is. Can not wait to see the stove burning!
  12. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
  13. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Can anyone with install experience let me know the easiest and safest way to get that insert inside the house. I have to get it up three steps to the front porch and then one more step up into the front door. After that it is a matter of getting it over some hardwood floors to the living room. I do not own a heavy duty dolly but could probably borrow one.
  14. flynfrfun

flynfrfun Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    That's what I used...a dolly with inflatable tires and help from my neighbor. I only had to go up 2 steps.
  15. skibumm100

skibumm100 Member

Loc:
    southern NH
    I used an inflateable tire dolly I bought years ago. I came through a back slider from a deck to avoid too many steps. Make sure you have plenty of help going up the steps and you should be fine. You may want to consider making the power outlet switched in case you need to shut off the stove in an emergency. Nice looking install so far....
  16. Brokenwing

Brokenwing Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Maryland
    To get mine in the house, we removed the hopper lid, as well as the top, the cast outer door, and the firebox parts. Took about 10 mins, and made it super light. The lid comes right off with no tools required. The top has 4 bolts, and the outer door has 2 bolts. Dissasebly is real easly, and goes back togethert nice.
  17. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I watched my install guy and his two helpers wrestle it into my house on a dolly!! Best $500.00 I ever spent outside of a strip club visit!!;)

Can't wait to see your pictures, the fireplace looks Beautiful already!
    smoke show and Brokenwing like this.
  18. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    you seen Star Wars Empire Strikes Back? The part where Yoda lifts X-Wing out of swamp?? This the method I suggest. Is easiest on back.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  19. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Thanks for the suggestions. My stove dealer charges $600.00 for the install and that does not include venting material. I know I am penny pinching but I also look forward to the challenge. Here she is all lonely inside the garage. I just unwrapped her like a late Xmas present. 2013-02-14 16.02.00.jpg
  20. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    My installers removed all of the cast iron pieces before moving it into the house. Good luck!
  21. imacman

imacman Guest

Can it be test burned while in the garage in it's present condition? Nice to be able to make sure everything is OK before the lugging in the house & install.
  22. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Just stripped it down. Should be a lot lighter once I get it off the frame. 2013-02-14 17.40.37.jpg
  23. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Lol. Trust me, I can't wait to fire it up. It was all I could do not to dump a bag of pellets into it.
  24. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    If you are going to install it make certain you have or can get access to equipment to set the damper properly.
  25. Chris Merrill

Chris Merrill New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    Are you referring to a Magnehelic gauge or something else I need?