My experience with pellet fuel vendors in N.E. over the last few years

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Souzafone

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2007
Freetown, Massachusetts
I know a lot of people are interested in others opinions, so I'd weigh in with my personal observations. After having a stove for a couple of years I realized that there were savings to be had on buying fuel, if done correctly. I was able to buy from a local dealer choosing from a variety of brands, with the added benefit of free delivery. I did this for 2 years with absolutely 0 complaints or issues, other than this same dealer will no longer provide free delivery. I was actually willing to pay a little more for the perfect service, but they didn't try to come close, even with me offering to buy 6 tons and leaving the delivery schedule open for 4 months.

Last year I turned to the internet and took a gamble on Pellets Direct. Gamble was the correct term, as it was a crapshoot if delivery would occur before the heating season, which was poor service for an April payment that should have been a June delivery. Many of their customers only received pellets well into the fall and winter, the only reason I got mine was that when lied to I get a high PIA factor. Many people got completely ripped off by New England Pellet LLC, who also had the lowest prices and free delivery.

This year I went with Pelletsales.com, again after trying the local dealer who I had used previously. There were cheaper pellets to be had, but not by much. Free delivery on 6 tons was the deal clincher. They were communicative from the start, and prompt always. They allowed me to pick an exact day, and arrived at the exact scheduled time. We got 6 tons of LG's, which came in clear bags, very little fines. The only issue was one damaged bag on each skid. A simple email request and we were promised a refund check in 4-6 weeks. We got it in 3. That's when I decided to create this post. Overall, the dealings I've had with Pelletsales.com were the best I've had purchasing pellets, and is a very good business model for others to copy. I now have 8 tons and probably won't be purchasing any next year, so I figure I'd chime in now while this experience is still fresh.

Moral of the story, if you can do business locally, do it. I would rather keep major purchases in my local area. If you can't be satisfied locally, do research, and heed what others have to say. Cheapest isn't always the best.

Worthwhile comments. You might want to tag them in the fall and boost them to the head of the queue when more folks are buying.

For pellets in general, the consumer's problems seem to split into product quality and product delivery. I've tried a number of pellets this year and would go with any of the top half a dozen or so and would leave some others off my list. Getting the right product is something people can learn from trial and error and from research into opinons at places like this site. Delivery is more complicated. It's worked out OK for me through the dealer who sold me the stove, but that pelletsales.com site is worth considering as an alternative. Until and unless pellet stoves become more common, the dependability of a supply line for any given year looks like it will be catch as catch can.

I have been buying pellets for the past 9 years.
The original factor when I pulled the pellet stove trigger was the availability of the pellets at the Home Depots of the world. Before that you had to go to the local stove shops.
I dealt with the big box stores for a few years....even had them deliver a few tons to me. Can remember waiting for trucks to arrive at the store to make sure I was first in line. Looking back how stpid can you be? I no longer do buisness with the big box stores. They always ended Winter in the first week of February. Get to the store in a blizzrds to be greeted by BBQ grills and no pellets.
There were a couple of years that I went with a local harware store and got taken on both price and delivery charge.
The whole time i always knew i could get pellets if need be at the Stove Place in Worcester. But the drive and the carrying the pellets around really was a little too much!.
I have now found a local pellet person that seems to satify my needs aand doesn't take me to the cleaners on delivery.
This will be my second year doing buisness with them...and cannot say anything bad about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.