My Experience with the Fiskars X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkinNC

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2010
Leicester, NC
Has been nothing but awesome so far. I easily split some 20" red oak that a traditional 8 pound mall just bounced off of. Yesterday I split about a 20" white oak. It took 5-6 hits to crack it in half. Once I can get a round in half, it's over pretty quick.

Now it is no miracle worker. If you have a big knot your still going to need wedges etc. My 8 pound mauls are retired to wedge driving duty now.

I know this is an ongoing issue. I wanted to put my vote in on the issue. :)

I like how they don't get stuck like my conventional maul does. Am also impressed with the edge it is holding...that steel isn't out of China!

I split a half skid-load (roughly a quarter of a cord) of mixed hardwood; mostly hard maple, beech and a little ash. This isn't much practice but I think it is enough to compare the two Fiskars axes. The X27 worked better than the Fiskars Super Splitting axe for me.

The bigger rounds split well where the Super Splitter likely would have bounced off. The longer handle keeps the missed hits further away from my legs and that is a major consideration for me. There were no close calls and I don't think there will be. With the Super Splitter, I just had too many close calls before I embraced the tire technique and even a few thereafter.

The rounds were in the 9 to 16" range. There is a place for hydraulic and there is a place for an axe. If I have chosen to split manually (for exercise), I am starting with the X27. I am retiring the maul and sledge. If the X27 won't do it, I'll save it for the hydraulic splitter with lifter.

Just bought the X27 today and used it for about 1 hour this afternoon. All I can say is that the amount of wood I split would have taken me at least double the time with my old no name Axe.
Looking forward to splitting some more tomorrow!!!!

Bringing back an old post, but reading about the x27 convinced me to get one. I just got it today but unfortunately have to wait to try it out. I needed to go up on the roof and threw my back out so no splitting for a few days, plus Irene's supposed to be coming my way.

kingston73 said:
Bringing back an old post, but reading about the x27 convinced me to get one. I just got it today but unfortunately have to wait to try it out. I needed to go up on the roof and threw my back out so no splitting for a few days, plus Irene's supposed to be coming my way.

Man that is a lot of work. Getting those rounds up on the roof. Splitting while standing on an angle. No wonder you threw your back out. Do you stack the splits up there also?
;-)

JimboM said:
kingston73 said:

Man that is a lot of work. Getting those rounds up on the roof. Splitting while standing on an angle. No wonder you threw your back out. Do you stack the splits up there also?
;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I got the X25 this past spring and it's a great splitting axe, especially for the $$$. I've been using a Fiskars 7859 Pro Splitting Axe for the past several years and the X25 is really a huge improvement. I still like the 7859 Pro because it has a lighter head (2 1/4 lbs.) but the heavier, more beveled 4 lb. head on the X25 really makes a big difference. It goes through rounds and large 1/2 rounds much easier and with more authority than the Pro Splitter. In my opinion, Fiskars really hit a home run with the new "X" line of axes.

JimboM said:
kingston73 said:

;-)

Ha! Yeah, you should see the looks the neighbors give me...
Seriously though, I was able to go out and use it a little before the rain started (Irene's on her way) and I was pretty impressed. I have some large pieces of oak or maple (not sure which) and splitting the sides first worked really well. I'm glad I'd read some of the tips from people on here for splitting first, I tried the center of a 20 inch wide piece and it just bounced off. I have an old 2 lb super splitter with the short handle and it doesn't even come close to this new x27. I'll keep the little one for the little pieces and for using as an axe from now on.

I like mine more each time I use it. Not for every piece of wood, but overall is sweet to swing and produces great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.