My fan shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortalis

Nov 15, 2014
Southern Mass
I opened the pellet hopper on my stove this morning and noticed the top was warmer than it usually is. I leveled of the load in the hopper and after closing the cover I realized the stove was very quiet considering it had been burning all the previous day and all through the night. I felt in front where the warmed aire is pushed into the room and felt no breeze. I pressed the control to increase the fan speed and the number 1 appeared and the fan started up. I thought smelled something was hot last night while watching tv. Apparently the fan stopped running.

Anyone else have this happen? Im sure fans have gone bad but to have the fan stop and then restart after pressing the fan speed button?

May have just been the right circumstance that you pushed the button the same time the fans thermal protection device turned the fan back on. I year old stove though?

I opened the pellet hopper on my stove this morning and noticed the top was warmer than it usually is. I leveled of the load in the hopper and after closing the cover I realized the stove was very quiet considering it had been burning all the previous day and all through the night. I felt in front where the warmed aire is pushed into the room and felt no breeze. I pressed the control to increase the fan speed and the number 1 appeared and the fan started up. I thought smelled something was hot last night while watching tv. Apparently the fan stopped running.

Anyone else have this happen? Im sure fans have gone bad but to have the fan stop and then restart after pressing the fan speed button?

Fan may need a cleaning and oil. If the motor gets dust bunnies it overheats and shuts down also dry bearings will act the same way.

I bought a used Drolet and I'm sure the guy never cleaned the motor properly. What I thought was a foam filter was a gross combination of dust,oil and dirt. I had to get in there with a pick and tenderly pull it all out.

This fan has issues

Attachments

• DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 128
Someone with more knowledge of the fan controls needs to chime in as its hard to think that the stove fan is having a dust problem this new. Sounds more like a snap switch issue

I have alerted my wife to keep an eye on it and let me know if it happens again.

FYI
The settings when the display came back on were heat=3, fan=1

Shut the stove down...unplug and remove rear panel. Take a good look and wiggle the electrical connectors to the motor. I had 1 break when I touched it. Next do a control board reset.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-can-i-tune-my-25-pdv.105167/

Might as well clean the motor of dust bunnies while your in there.

If that doesn't fix it, time to call englander for warranty work.

Best of luck to ya.

I have alerted my wife to keep an eye on it and let me know if it happens again.

FYI
The settings when the display came back on were heat=3, fan=1

You want the fan at least as high as the heat level not lower. While you are at it call England Stove Works I do not believe the newer stoves are supposed to allow the settings you just listed.

Set the convection (room blower) to 9 and leave it there. Makes no difference until your down in the lower feed settings.

Reactions: rafmt
According to my manual, From heat range 2-8 the fan is automatically adjusted.

Call England there is no assurance that your controller has actually made a correct choice for the convection blower England Should be able to step you through checking things out.

You are indicating that the blower possibly shut down when it should not have. Don't play guessing games.

Here is a rather short list of what can result in that blower not operating that does not involve the blower itself.

Dirt between the thermocouple sensor and the location it is attached, dirt (specifically ash) being behind where it attaches (likely given the time between the install and now if you haven't done a deep clean).

Any power fluctuations even if the stove is off. Known to cause resetting issues and destroying control boards

Incorrect setting of AOT.

Last edited:
Update:

I have since found that the fan can be manually adjusted to a zero setting. My wife was unclear which row of the adjustment buttons did what. It hasn't happened again since so I am assuming she lowered the fan thinking it was the heat and inevitably shut the can down.

Status
Not open for further replies.