My Finest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Can't keep it around forever right? Getting down to the end of the 3 year Red Oak. Sad to see it go but every split has it's time.

Attachments

• ro11.jpg
    ro11.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 327
  • ro22.jpg
    ro22.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 329
Hi -

I know the feeling. I like the dense dry Red Oak for holidays. It ensures a nice overnight burn with my medium sized stove. I put the last of in in last night.

I can't complain though. I'm blessed with as much Ash as I can cut and haul lately. I hope to pull another cord out after work.

ATB,
Mike P

Sorry to see it is your last.

Just yesterday as I was out cutting more wood I got to thinking that perhaps it is time for me to knock down a few oaks. We don't have many here but do have some good sized pin oaks I could take down. Plus one red oak that took a beating when I fell an large ash into it's top. Now there isn't much left of the top. Then there are some smaller red oaks I'd like to clear for shooting lanes during hunting season. So, maybe I'll cut some this month if the weather permits. Then in 3 years I'll have some really good overnight wood.

hareball said:
Can't keep it around forever right? Getting down to the end of the 3 year Red Oak. Sad to see it go but every split has it's time.
Just wait until you get three years ahead with your wood supply. Then every piece you burn will be three years old and will never have to come to an end.

I started yesterday on some new rounds for the rack but this morning my buddy came across a dead standing Red Oak. Alot of the limbs were snapped off and bark missing here and there. I went right to work on it and loaded t in the garage before the snow. I don't think alot of it will make it to next year, it's about the same in weight as the splits I was currently burning. The trunk area was pretty ate up by ants as well.

Attachments

• ro33.jpg
    ro33.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.