My Firewood Haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from CT, where we're "enjoying" temps in the 60's today!

All of the rounds in these pictures I got for free from my father. I'm wondering if anyone can help out with ID'ing some of the wood. I think some of the splits are red maple and a lot of the rounds look like birch??

By the way, I split all the wood by hand, using a Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. Great workout and the more time I spend splitting, the less time the wife and I argue -- a real marriage saver!

Attachments

• Pile 001.jpg
    Pile 001.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 926
  • Pile 002.jpg
    Pile 002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 954
  • Pile 003.jpg
    Pile 003.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 922
  • Pile 004.jpg
    Pile 004.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 941
  • Pile 005.jpg
    Pile 005.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 950
  • Pile 006.jpg
    Pile 006.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 922
Those sure are some super neat and almost perfect stacks of wood you have there LukeDawg...well done. My knowledge of wood is limited to what's around here but some one will ID though.

I can't see the pics large enough to ID most of the wood, but at least one looks like birch. Can't tell what kind of birch, but you probably want to split it. Birch of all kids has a reputation for rotting if left in round form.

Nice stacks. Good Score. Hope your getting dad a big Christmas present.
I have been wondering if there were any fellow woodburners here from Cheshire. Just moved in 2007.
What is it about the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe that Ive heard so many like over a regular splitting maul.
If you ever get overloaded with wood or decide to switch to pellet I can clean up your lot for you. :)

To ID you need to provide multiple pictures of fresh splits with bark, end grain and middle shots from 2-4ft away.

Chunk: We just moved to Cheshire last year (June 2008). If we switch to pellet (not likely) you'll be the first to know. Any good leads on firewood supplies in the area? Green is fine. The Super Splitting Axe has the wedge incorporated into the axe blade -- plus the entire tool is very light. Your back will give out (from retrieving splits) long before your arms and shoulders will from swinging the axe.

Just scored about 2.5 cords of green wood for $245 -- $98 a cord. The load just dropped is all oak -- usually mixed hardwoods. Has to be bucked and split but there's no time like the present to start preparing for the future.

Nice pics! And good to see some fellow locals here. I live in Wallingford...just over the Cheshire line. I'm up behind the Oakdale Theater...errr Chevy....oh wait...I think it's Toyota now?

Nice stacks.
Good job!
Where the snow?

Dave: we got a couple of inches last week here in CT -- it was high 40's yesterday so a lot of the snow melted. Back down to cold (20s) today for a while, but no snow forecast.

It's almost painful to burn when there's no snow on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.