My first ash tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not familiar with ash. Can I bun it next season?

Most likely .. . yes. For best results stack loosely, maximum exposure to sun and wind and top cover.

Ash is my all around go to wood ... easy to process ... it will practically split itself if you give it a dirty look, decent BTUs.

Thanks was hoping so cause I needed a little insurance for next year. Got about 3 cords of oak, hickory and pecan that'll be ready.( I hope)

I've cut a few deteriorating ash, and what always surprises me is the way they gush water like an open garden hose....Ash is a medium-BTU wood. Better than soft maple, but no where near oak or hickory.
That might be another type of Ash you're getting. Very seldom do I see heartwood that is much darker on White Ash, as yours looks to be. Usually looks the same color throughout, like what he has split there. Hard to tell from your pics, though. Doesn't gush water that I recall. White Ash is almost as good as Red Oak, BTU-wise. All-around great stuff.
Dries how fast? Burn able next season?
I like to give it 2 yrs here, then it's really dry, but down there it might be pretty good in 1.

That might be another type of Ash you're getting. Very seldom do I see heartwood that is much darker on White Ash, as yours looks to be. Usually looks the same color throughout, like what he has split there. Hard to tell from your pics, though. Doesn't gush water that I recall. White Ash is almost as good as Red Oak, BTU-wise. All-around great stuff.
I like to give it 2 yrs here, then it's really dry, but down there it might be pretty good in 1.

I may have to use my spot by the pond again. Worked great this past year!

Reactions: Woody Stover
That might be another type of Ash you're getting. Very seldom do I see heartwood that is much darker on White Ash, as yours looks to be. Usually looks the same color throughout, like what he has split there. Hard to tell from your pics, though.
The pic of all the wood laying out in the field was more oak than ash, but the tree laying down next to the old man is ash. That ash tree, in particular, ran like a faucet. It had been in decline for 5 years, and was half dead, which may have had a lot to do with how it behaved. I know it was ash, because I'd seen its leaves in summer myself. The man standing by the tree knows tree ID better than just about anyone I know, and has been living under that one for about 45 years. Trust me, it was ash, although I never thought to ask him what type.

As to the color, if you look at the stump you'll see it's the same color throughout, as it was when I split the rounds. I think it just looks much darker in the photo than it really was, for reasons unknown.

Well it's c/s/s with some cherry Can't do anything but wait now. Sure glad I finally get to try the ash. The processing sure was easy. I see why so many of you like it
image.jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ash sure has become "daily bread" around here. Damnable borer... I split small and can reasonably expect to burn in six months. The stuff in the woodshed burns like it's bone-dry, and the stuff that was single row stacked and top covered will burn off a little moisture if the split is big (normal sized), but if it wasn't for ash and some silver maple, I'd be up a creek. If I could only choose one species, I'd be torn between ash and cherry.

If I could only choose one species, I'd be torn between ash and cherry.
White Oak makes ash look like pine, in regard to burn times and consistent long heat output. Ash is easier to process (very light, splits easily), and seasons very quickly, but it is not one of the highest BTU woods in my piles. My burn times on a full load of white oak are easily 4 - 6 hours longer than a full load of ash.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
White Oak makes ash look like pine, in regard to burn times and consistent long heat output. Ash is easier to process (very light, splits easily), and seasons very quickly, but it is not one of the highest BTU woods in my piles. My burn times on a full load of white oak are easily 4 - 6 hours longer than a full load of ash.

We're in full agreement. I went from zero to eight cords starting in March of 14. Started with Cherry, Big Leaf Maple and Silver Maple. Then I hit an Ash muthalode that was many cords. Those lightweight species allowed me to come from behind and get in the best position I've ever been in. I think I've burned seven so far. Two stoves, budgeted four cords each.

I've got some kind of white oak (we never did figure out exactly what) that I'm working up presently - live cut. I think it'll stack out to four cords. I've burned some cookies I cut back in November, and the coaling was most impressive. I'm splitting as small as I can stand, but it'll be difficult to split four cords of Oak this winter and STILL go out and find eight cords of Ash for 15/16. I enjoy the work, but Yee Gads! :)

Reactions: Rebelduckman
We're in full agreement. I went from zero to eight cords starting in March of 14. Started with Cherry, Big Leaf Maple and Silver Maple. Then I hit an Ash muthalode that was many cords. Those lightweight species allowed me to come from behind and get in the best position I've ever been in. I think I've burned seven so far. Two stoves, budgeted four cords each.... I enjoy the work, but Yee Gads! :)
I'm in the same boat. Went from zero to 20 cords in three years, while burning 5 - 8 cords per year. I think I was processing 12 - 14 cords per year, to get there. I'd like to get up to maybe 25 cords on-hand, but the weather never seems to agree with my available time, this year.

Yep I've got 3 cords that's pin oak, white oak and water oak that hopefully will be ready this year but I'm going for insurance right now. White oak is hard to beat and luckily my woods are full of it. Also have plenty of red maple, poplar and cherry. I'm in good shape as long as I get my job done

Ash sure has become "daily bread" around here. Damnable borer... I split small and can reasonably expect to burn in six months. The stuff in the woodshed burns like it's bone-dry, and the stuff that was single row stacked and top covered will burn off a little moisture if the split is big (normal sized), but if it wasn't for ash and some silver maple, I'd be up a creek. If I could only choose one species, I'd be torn between ash and cherry.

I've only had a little bit of ash but from that limited experience if I only had to have one species I think that would be it too. Was clean to handle and burn, dries reliably quick and put out decent heat. I'm not a 24/7, wood heat exclusive burner though and everyone has different needs and circumstances. The vast majority of my wood has been oak and while great burning when dry it will not be rushed. Will be burning mostly locust in the 16/17 season (was split Nov of 2013) and that's a whole 'nother story.

Status
Not open for further replies.