my first big free wood score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dantree

Sep 7, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Got most of a maple tree today. About half of it was standing dead! Time to get splitting.

How what size do you leave whole and what do you split? Bigger than 4 inches diameter?

Thanks,

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 140
I leave 5 inches and under whole and split anything over that, if it was standing dead its probably all dry so in that case you might want to leave 6 inches unsplit.

Depends on how tired I am!

Seriously, 4-5 inches usually don't get split, sometimes a little bigger. Especially if I can see a large knot in a piece, if I can get away with not splitting that is what I do.

With that being Silver Maple (Soft), I would not split anything under 6"-7".

Soft maple seasons quite quickly and those larger rounds will be perfect for next year.

Or is this for this year?

Reactions: Dairyman
Good score! With silver maple I'd leave 8" and under unless you need it to dry fast.

With that being Silver Maple (Soft), I would not split anything under 6"-7".

Soft maple seasons quite quickly and those larger rounds will be perfect for next year.

Or is this for this year?

The dry pieces (about half) are for this year. I still need a moisture meter.

Anything getting used this year I would split and split on the smaller side. Even if it was standing dead I wouldn't count on any of the trunk wood to be good, limb wood will be your best chance.

Nice score.
I split anything over 3", gives me a few smalls to fill in voids when loading the stove full.
But my wood is mostly birch & even the small rounds don't dry well if not split.

Dan, the MM is not necessary. And the guys are right about this wood drying rather quickly. Cut and split in spring it can be ready to burn by winter. Makes excellent kindling wood too.

standing dead is the second best type of wood to find, free being #1

Status
Not open for further replies.