1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    So I had my first burn in my hampton gci60 pellet insert tonight. This thing threw out some heat. One thing had me kinda worried though. There was a very slight haze of smoke in my house, not enough to set off the brand new smoke detectors. Could this be part of the curing process whether its the stove or my flex liner( the liner was somewhat oily when I got it). I did the install myself and sealed all the joints with Rutland high temp silicone. It being a insert i can't see the pipes, to see leaks if any. I ran it for about 2.5 hrs tonight and plan to run it tomorrow night as well, if I still get the smoke I guess I'll slide it out and re- seal it. This stove slides out just like the m55 insert, on a frame. The exhaust ( which is part of frame )connects to stove with rope gaskets by just pushing it in and clamping into place, this seems like a potential leak spot, anyone ever have problem with that connection. Anyways I hope it's just liner and stove curing. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Prob just the paint curing. Did it smell like wood smoke or chemicals?

Congrats on your first burn!
  3. Gary Gileau

Gary Gileau Member

Loc:
    Griswold CT

I agree. My stove stunk up the house! The paint has to cure and there are oils on new steeI to keep it from rusting. It goes away quickly though. It is a good idea to be concerned as you are just to be safe.
  4. john193

john193 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I wouldn't worry just yet. I have an insert myself vented via a 20 foot SS liner. My liner was oily as well and installed on a brand new stove. On my first burn there were all sorts of odors coming through. I burnt the stove on high for a least an hour on 3 occasions before the odor dissipated for good. I can't comment on seeing a haze since the smell drove me to open my windows.

My stove has a clip disconnect on the exhaust similar to what you described and my experience has been that these seal just fine. It is likely where the liner slides onto the exhaust port.
  5. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    Yes just paint and oil burning off from the manufacturing process of the stove. My manual suggested opening a window closest to the stove for the first two hours of burn time. IT took about 6 hours for it to dissipate from the smell
  6. glenc0322

glenc0322 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Congrats on the new stove post some pictures. My stove smoked when new burnt on high for an hour had the windows open and it went away. Just keep an eye on it but you will be fine
  7. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    Buy a canary...worked for the coal miners. But seriously, I agree with everybody else. If you smell smoke...problem. Horrible noxious chemical fumes...perfectly normal.
  8. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    What, no pics???
  9. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    Alright, from reading posts for awhile I realize no pics= didn't happen. Here is a pic and if I do it right a video. The video, even though its hard to tell does my flame look fine. Somewhere between a blowtorch and lazy flames right? Also I was told black tips on flame is no good, I don't see black tips, but the fire is moving to fast for me to see. Thanks
  10. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    I got caught up in writing and forgot to post pic. Ignore the chaulk and the green slime kids put on bricks

Attached Files:

11. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    Another pic

Attached Files:

12. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Ahhhhh toasty warm......
  13. DOLLARBILL

DOLLARBILL Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    your Lucky mine did set off the SD but @ least that was a good test smell only lasted a short time opened up a window on either side of the House cleared it out and i did feel like a couple hundred dollars left the house !
  14. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    Day 2 - I cranked the stove on 5 for about 4 hrs, the room with stove had all 8 windows open, no smoke at all in the house and I believe most of smell is gone, I don't know if I'm just used to it though, but I did have my parents come by and they said they just had a hint of smell. The house is extremely toasty warm. Fifty feet away on the oil thermostat says 70. I'll be experimenting with fans to move heat, and trying to dial in the stove as far as settings and slide damper. I feel like a kid with his new toy.
    jgrz0610 likes this.
  15. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Beautiful stove and install (except the cord)...Never seen a round hearth before. What's up with all the scratch marks on your brick (or is that chalk)??

Enjoy the heat.
  16. JonSkow

JonSkow New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern, MA
    Same think happened to me when I started up for the first time. The paperwork warned me about it and for some reason I still didn't think to put a fan in the window and exhaust. Perhaps a little anxious to get the stove running.
  17. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    If you are going top use fans to move the air blow the air from the cold rooms to the room with the stove. Don't blow the warm air to the cold rooms sounds crazy but works better. Also make sure your stove is on a good surge suppressor.
  18. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    I had my windows open on my first burn as it was smelling of paint. Only lasted a couple hours then all was good, closed the window and burned away....
  19. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    I the kids got a hold of some chaulk, and the neon green is green slime that was smudge on.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  20. imacman

imacman Guest

Ditto on both points.

One of those computer "surge strips" won't cut it, especially on a gorgeous stove like that. Something like this is in order:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ULTRABLOK-Protector-Suppressor/dp/B00006B81D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357850916&sr=8-1&keywords=tripplite ultrablok
  21. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
  22. Burnbaby

Burnbaby Member

Loc:
    Southern nh
    Thanks everyone, I knew I needed a surge arrestor, but in all my excitement I just forgot. Do those ones just plug right into outlet, and then I plug stove into that. First off the outlet that its plug into is on a switch, so I have to fix that first, right now I have it tape on so no one can switch it. Man I love a warm house!!
  23. glenc0322

Loc:
    long Island NY
    Yes plugs right into the wall