My First chimney cleaning experence!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diodeduster

Dec 24, 2008
warminster pa
I have a Montpelier medium wood insert that was installed last summer. The first thing me and my brother did was disconnect and pull out the stove and roll it on a movers Dolley that i built the same height as the hearth so i can install a blockoff plate later. Then we both went on the roof and pulled off the cap and pushed the poly medium brush part way down in the 6 inch liner with a rope attached just in case. I went back down inside the house and tied a plastic bag to other end of pipe to catch all the junk and a that point my brother screwed on the first section of 3/4 gray electrical pvc pipe and pushed the brush down a couple of feet but could not pull the brush out and i had a panic attack because i thought you should be able too well it turns out that the brush can only be pushed in one direction and cannot be backed out and with 2 passes down the liner i only had about 2 coffee cans of junk. I would say i burned about 2.5 cords of wood mostly at night and on weekends. My chimney is now cleaned and the next step is to make the blockoff plate to improve the heat output.

Congrats on a good job. Next time you should be able to just brush it into the insert. Easier on the back.

brotherbart will i be able to pull the brush back up once i clear the ripples in the ss liner i am afraid of the brush getting stuck. Should i buy the cleaning rods or continue using the pvc pipe. thanks for any help Ed.

It should reverse just fine after it is through the end of the liner. Safest would be the the rods but I just use a couple of ropes and pull it through. I bought fifty bucks worth of the rods a few years ago and ended up throwing them off the roof and going and getting the ropes. They are still in the garage on a shelf.

Mine goes back and forth with the rods just fine. It does get snagged a bit at a small turn in the liner.

The meduim duty poly brush didnt really get stuck when i inserted it at the top of the liner what worried me is i could not pull it out once i started it at top. I thought you could pull it back out at any point in the liner but you cant once i started in one direction thats the only way it would go. this liner is ss flex and more than likely the bristles get stuck in the groves and wont flex in the other direction unless i make the brush smaller in diamenter.

I've owned two poly brushes from Rutland. The first was such a tight fit that it refused to reverse. Dad trimmed it down, and it worked great. Then we cleaned my grandmother's SS flue when it was apparently a bit too warm - melted the poly brush into the exact shape of the most perfect Christmas tree. The second brush is a perfect fit for my SS flue - one good, hard tug reverses the bristles! Funny how much an 1/8 of an inch difference makes!

Status
Not open for further replies.