My first CL score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdNH

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2009
Southern, NH
So im a newbie wood burner, just got the stove in february, but already upsessed with it and enjoy it as a hobby not as a job (like my dad said it would be)

Even paying for seasoned wood by the cord is still a MAJOR improvement over paying for the electric heat to run in the house (at a low temp) but the fact that I can get wood for free is the icing on the cake

So here it is, my first official "scroung"

All oak, a little bit of rot, but nothing major, looks like half a cord to the untrained eye? good thing the doner was there to help me lift em into the truck because without a saw I would have just driven home with an empty truck.

Next purchase is a good saw.

Attachments

• small0001.jpg
    small0001.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 378
  • small0002.jpg
    small0002.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 374
Another question I had, was whats the etiquette with free wood? the guy gave me a nice half cord of wood and even helped me load it into the truck. I felt like i owed him something in return, or was the fact that I helped him removed it off his yard and truck it away enough payment for him. He really seamed like he wanted NOTHING to do with the wood and was happy to see it go, so i thanked him and went on my merry way.

Just removing it is a big help -- a tree service guy would have charged him $200 to take it away I'm sure.
But I'm sure a case of beers would always be appropriate.

Get a good look around the property. If he takes down trees in the future and you gave him a few bucks he'd likely bypass CL and call you direct.
Nice score! Have you checked CL for saws yet? I bet there is some good deals in NH.

I have been checking CL for good used saws, still educating myself on them. lookign for a mid-range stihl, something durable and long lasting.

got a huge vet bill right now and a wedding in october, so spending alot of money is not an option. would make a good wedding gift, but i dont want to wait that long! maybe ill just buy a cheapo for now and get a real nice one for the wedding? ha

ColdNH said:
I have been checking CL for good used saws, still educating myself on them. lookign for a mid-range stihl, something durable and long lasting.

got a huge vet bill right now and a wedding in october, so spending alot of money is not an option. would make a good wedding gift, but i dont want to wait that long! maybe ill just buy a cheapo for now and get a real nice one for the wedding? ha

Do you have any equipment rental places around?
Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!

Nice score, gotta love the free wood especially when its oak.

Dont by a cheap throw away saw now and a good one later, you're just pi$$ing money away. Bite the bullet and buy something that will last, something orange.

Hate to be the first to say it but that ain't a half cord. I'd be suprised if it were 1/3 of a cord after cutting, splitting, and stacking. When you get it all processed measure it and let us know.

hareball said:
ColdNH said:

Do you have any equipment rental places around?
Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!

Thanks, we do have a few rental places around, and i have rented a saw before, but its like 70$ for the day, rent a saw 3 or 4 times and your near the cost of a good used stihl.

boostnut said:
Nice score, gotta love the free wood especially when its oak.

Dont by a cheap throw away saw now and a good one later, you're just pi$$ing money away. Bite the bullet and buy something that will last, something orange.

Hate to be the first to say it but that ain't a half cord. I'd be suprised if it were 1/3 of a cord after cutting, splitting, and stacking. When you get it all processed measure it and let us know.

Good point, maybe ill just continue scrounging wood i can load into the truck and rent a saw for a day in the middle of the summer and buck everything, then buy a nice new stihl after the wedding.

Like i said, i have an untrained eye, only said half a cord, cause thats what i have heard people on here say thats what fills a half ton truck, granted mine is a step side.

Ouch! I wondered how much the rentals were but yeah thats not worth it unless the saw is running all day long cutting wood.

Have any buddies with a saw?

1/3 of a cord looks to be about right. Given the diameter of some of that oak, here's another vote against a cheap saw. A craftsman/poulan or even an 017 would likely bog in the kerf.

There are a few deals out there on CL. My 360 Pro was had for $150. Got a real nice ProMac 10-10 - a nonrunner for $20 that I got going with fresh gas.

Thing to keep in mind on your first saw is that a used model is only as good as its last owner. I'd recommend a good midrange saw for starters that'll run when you need it to - and to round out a 3 saw plan with some CL pickups as they arise. Start a "capital reserve fund" next winter, taking a portion of what you'd have spent on non-wood heat to fund equipment purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.