My first clinker!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newf lover

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern CT
I've been running the stove in stove temp on the lowest setting for a couple days, trying to keep the heat up in case we lost power. We did not. Took a look in the burn pot a couple minutes ago, and had a large clinker. I don't usually run on stove temp. I guess it doesn't work too well on low for an extended period of time. My distribution blower was also on low, could that have contributed to the problem? I'm burning Turmans, no problem until I burned on stove temp low setting.

newf lover said:
I've been running the stove in stove temp on the lowest setting for a couple days, trying to keep the heat up in case we lost power. We did not. Took a look in the burn pot a couple minutes ago, and had a large clinker. I don't usually run on stove temp. I guess it doesn't work too well on low for an extended period of time. My distribution blower was also on low, could that have contributed to the problem? I'm burning Turmans, no problem until I burned on stove temp low setting.
From my experience, Turmans are dense and need a lot of air to burn properly. I would imagine if you are burning on low all the time, that is your problem. I usually have to set my MT. Vernon AE to high elevation setting which provides more combustion air to the pot. They are an excellent pellet though.

I figured it was something like that. I put in new insulation and the only setting I could put it on in stove temp and not get heated out of the house was 1. Guess I need to wait till really cold of winter to run on stove temp for an extended period of time. Or I could buy crappy pellets!

Yeah, I have no problems with stove temp when running it in the colder months. Been running since Saturday morning as long as power has been on for the same reason, keep as warm as possible just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.