My first holz hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnalogKid

Burning Hunk
Oct 22, 2012
CT
Here's my first attempt at a holz hausen. I put down 6 pallets for an 8'x9' base. The wood is a mixed potpourri of hardwoods, but predominantly locust. You may remember the thread I started last year when I dropped a big locust, well this is it. The core is full of chunks and uglies.

A couple pics as it was under way. I had my wife get next to it when it was finished to get an idea of its size. That pic was taken in July.

In the next few days I will begin tearing it down and relocating the wood to the racks by the house. Last week I tested a bunch of random pieces throughout the HH with my moisture meter and everything was between 8 and 13% MC.

What'cha think??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380161468.010480.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380161490.848958.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380161505.048824.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380161553.048840.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380161571.965265.jpg

Nice! I built 2 this year staring in the early spring and am on my 3rd now . They range between 10 & 12 feet in diameter and are 7' high before wood started to shrink. 90% oak , 10% poplar. The 3rd one is a mix of maple, oak, cherry, image.jpg

Reactions: basod and AnalogKid
Oh yeah, all hand split by X27...

Nice! I built 2 this year staring in the early spring and am on my 3rd now . They range between 10 & 12 feet in diameter and are 7' high before wood started to shrink. 90% oak , 10% poplar. The 3rd one is a mix of maple, oak, cherry,

Wow! Those are beauties!

Wow! Those are beauties!
I heard a lot of myths about stacking wood this way....after I did it. But I have to say moisture content in a split that's been split again for inner moisture readings is around 22-25% not bad for 6 months or less. I've had 2 good fires this week with oak that was split almost exactly a year ago, stacked normally & moisture was around the same as what's been stacked in the round for 6 months ..... So I think it's an effective method.

Here's my first attempt at a holz hausen. I put down 6 pallets for an 8'x9' base. The wood is a mixed potpourri of hardwoods, but predominantly locust. You may remember the thread I started last year when I dropped a big locust, well this is it. The core is full of chunks and uglies.

A couple pics as it was under way. I had my wife get next to it when it was finished to get an idea of its size. That pic was taken in July.

In the next few days I will begin tearing it down and relocating the wood to the racks by the house. Last week I tested a bunch of random pieces throughout the HH with my moisture meter and everything was between 8 and 13% MC.

What'cha think??

View attachment 112671View attachment 112672View attachment 112673View attachment 112674View attachment 112675

Nice job! I'm amazed at the moisture content. I'd like to try a HH sometime--maybe next year. Your wife is really pretty as well. Good to see she supports the hobby.

Nice! I built 2 this year staring in the early spring and am on my 3rd now . They range between 10 & 12 feet in diameter and are 7' high before wood started to shrink. 90% oak , 10% poplar. The 3rd one is a mix of maple, oak, cherry, View attachment 112676

Awesome HH's. Have you checked the moisture content on those? How are they working out?

Analog - did you fill the center? The picture made it look like you didn't. I would suggest another horizontal row about two feet up. Allows more of a cylander.

055.JPG 190.JPG

Analog - did you fill the center? The picture made it look like you didn't. I would suggest another horizontal row about two feet up. Allows more of a cylander.

I've never built one--does it dry faster if you don't fill the center?

I filled the center by just randomly tossing in chunks, shorties, and uglies.

Nice job! I'm amazed at the moisture content. I'd like to try a HH sometime--maybe next year. Your wife is really pretty as well. Good to see she supports the hobby.

I was surprised at how low the MC was too. That is a really good spot for seasoning wood. It sits on top of a ridge and gets blasted all day long by breeze and strong sun. So, in all fairness, the excellent drying may have more to do with the location than the actual HH itself. Maybe I will put typical stacks up there for next year and compare.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you do some research on it most people why have tried them claim they dont season wood any quicker, single rows are still the best way IMHO.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you do some research on it most people why have tried them claim they dont season wood any quicker, single rows are still the best way IMHO.

May be true. But they take up much less space, and they look cool. :)

Most people? I think most of the people that have commented on them in other forums haven't tried them. My experience has been good with them. IMO. they look better, dry the wood as fast or better than single rows. To each his own

Most people? I think most of the people that have commented on them in other forums haven't tried them. My experience has been good with them. IMO. they look better, dry the wood as fast or better than single rows. To each his own
The people I refer to are the ones that tried it, hard to beat single rows for drying, I looked into it a few years ago after a thread on here and the ones who tried it noticed no better drying, they are neat and look cool.
http://woodheat.org/firewood-follies.html

Yes - in years past we have had a few members actually take a bit of a scientific approach to comparing the HH to single rows. Stacking a HH out of the same wood that a single row was made from. and in the same area, the final tally was that the single row actually had a slight improvement over the HH.

I still think they are cool looking.

Yes - in years past we have had a few members actually take a bit of a scientific approach to comparing the HH to single rows. Stacking a HH out of the same wood that a single row was made from. and in the same area, the final tally was that the single row actually had a slight improvement over the HH.

I still think they are cool looking.
Yeah I have seen those, but I think there are a lot of variables that also effect drying time. The topography of the land (are you on a hill top or in a valley) and location of the stacks, sunlight, direction of wind, etc. So for me it's not one or the other.

May be true. But they take up much less space, and they look cool. :)

It is okay if you like them but there is absolutely now way it can take up less space. It will actually take up more space and will also take more time to stack the wood.

It is okay if you like them but there is absolutely now way it can take up less space. It will actually take up more space and will also take more time to stack the wood.[/quote]
Unless you tried it::-).......>>>backs away
I know there wasn't digital cameras in the stone ages 50yrs ago:p

Status
Not open for further replies.