My first large process. Not bad for a days work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddypd

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Long Island NY
I took advantage of the mild temps and split my Sandy/scrounged/inherited wood pile. I am estimating a little over 2 cords in about 6 hours? I thought I was going to take advantage of my Fiskars, but a friend told me to give his splitter a try. That thing worked great! Funny how I get a wood stove and we have such a mild winter. My luck. I am guessing we used about a cord and a half so far. I attribute that to being a new wood burner and liking it warm in the house.

DSC00500.jpg

I am thinking of taking down that large pine behind the splitter. Should I keep it or have it hauled away? I am not afraid to burn pine, but was wondering how long it takes to season pine. I am also not crazy about that vine. I think there is some poison ivy mixed in.

DSC00503.jpg

nice job. once you get going, it adds up quickly. nice you're able to scrounge all that wood. great neighbor.....you probably owe him a six pack.

cass

Today is going to be even nicer. Trying to get some inspiration to do some splitting.

poison ivy leaves turn red and fall off in the Fall here.

take a close up of the vine, there are a few people here who have gotten tangled up in poison ivy and recognize it only too well.

Nice job, Freddy!

I second the close up of the vine, but I doubt it's poison ivy.

The pine will season quick and be ready next fall.

Nice work!

Personally I wouldn't take the chance that hidden in the other vines is some poison ivy, you DO NOT want to burn that!

Nice job.....now ya gotta stack

im not really allergic to Poison ivy so I would cut it and pull it off. But id say its 99% English ivy, but we cant really tell as PI would have no leaves no anyway. If you cut that pine even up to say may and split it ASAP I would say you would be good to burn some time next winter. It will season in a summer here, so 1 year is good nuff.

better get it done early, there is going to be a heck of a football game on later.....go pats!

cass
That Ravens Broncos game is why I am not motivated. Too much post game celebrating.Ravens Pats next week would be awesome!!!

My son became a football fan this year. He is a Seahawks fan (I think he is actually a fair weather fan, but what the heck, its fun watching games together) Hopefully he won't follow my lead, Jets, Mets and Islanders!

Nice work Freddy. Love those hydraulics! No problem with the pine and is should dry in a year.

Reactions: AJS56
Nice work Freddy. This mild weather in the northeast is crazy for sure. I'd like to split some kindlin but with the snowmelt and rain as of late my yard is all muddy so it'll have to wait.

Nice work Freddy! +1 on the hydraulics.

Keep the pine. It will be ready to burn in a year. I agree with the others who say that most of the vine is English Ivy. I can't see the vines well enough to say if there is any poison ivy mixed in.

Reactions: AJS56
Yeah - poison ivy drops its leaves in winter - I also agree that's probably English ivy on the tree behind the splitter.
The way I can tell poison ivy in winter...when the vine is more than an inch in diameter - it starts to get covered with reddish brown shaggy hair. When it gets bigger the hair gets thicker.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Great-lookin' pile right there, freddy! :cool:
Me, I would get the Pine too. Split it small and it makes great starter wood...get the load going in a hurry. Or use bigger splits for a lively outside fire with plenty of flame. Not like Oak that just lies there and coals...
Just wear gloves, cut any 'hairy' vines and pull them off.

Hey, those stack stabilizer cross-rows look like they would do a good job... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.