MY FIRST MAN SAW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
:lol: Well I broke down and bought a new Sthil MS270c and it sure beats the old but new craftsman 42cc
This thing is a beast its light in weight and the sound that comes from this saw will knock your socks off
Did I tell you All that I bought my first man saw.This saw will eat trees for breakfast on a bad day.I cant wait to fire that mother up tommorow and get some tree damage cleaned up from last weeks storm
I think Ill break out the beer and give that saw a nice toast and look at it for a while shes still nice and shiny.
Ive allways used a craftsman and Boy that was a mistake'
Holy crap I bought a new saw that going to last for a long time. :)
I thought that I was paying to much but the way my wife and I look at it.Its like paying for two cords of wood And around her its gooing up in price average price $190to$260for mixed hardwoods .And for me nothing in the long run
My God bless this saw so it last along time
Ha do I have to break this new saw in? Or can i just give it hell tommorow ? They did say anthing at the dealer ship
Man Now that a nice saw Sthil MS270c
Man O Man Im Going out back to firer it up just to hear it idle.

Enjoy that puppy. You do have the personal protection equipment too, don't you?

You sound pretty excited, Burd...maybe you should settle down and take a few deep breaths before you go sawing into the neighborhood. Enjoy it...but above all else, respect it and be careful. Rick

Well congratulations on your new saw...personally I don't knock anyones personal saw but I've known others that have stepped up to a pro saw and you'd think they've died and went to heaven.

I got old, weak and wimpy and stepped down from a 23 pound pro saw and I think I died and went to heaven.

BrotherBart said:
Enjoy that puppy. You do have the personal protection equipment too, don't you?
Brotherbrat I do need to get some chaps but their $70 bucks And hearing protection at least newer ones That saw literly screams when throttled up.But tomorrow Ill be jeans and the steel toes
So im sitting in the house with the thing on the counter top drinking my draft

Haguys does this saw need a break in period like you would a Harly. Or do i just let her Rip

Burd said:
Brotherbrat I do need to get some chaps but their $70 bucks And hearing protection at least newer ones That saw literly screams when throttled up.But tomorrow Ill be jeans and the steel toes
So im sitting in the house with the thing on the counter top drinking my draft

You should really think twice before cutting sans leg protection. That is an extremely bad idea; one mistake will make $70 chaps seem like the best bargain in the world. Do not scrimp on protection gear, and if at all possible consider taking a chainsaw safety class.

The emergency room was $325 for my left leg and that was in 1987 dollars. Buy the chaps. Leave the American Express Card on the dresser but don't leave home without the chaps. A pair of Husqvarna consumer chaps are fifty bucks at Lowe's.

I cut for over thirty years without boots, chaps and helmet. Now I won't even start a saw without them.

Well I have to get gas and oil for the saw so Ill stop and get a pair before I get started.

Congrats on the saw. The MS270 is a GREAT saw.

I work on chainsaws for a living (as well as other stuff). I've worked on more than one saw that "suddenly locked up" and found kevlar fibers wound up in the sprocket and clutch. It happens. We have a set downstairs in the showroom that saved a guy's leg. There's a reason the pros use them.

Break in: Just let her rip. Run her normally for about a dozen tanks for fuel. Then take it back to the dealer to have it tweaked a bit. Usually I richen them up a tad so they're not so friggin lean.

Very nice saw. I purchased one a few months ago to replace an older 028. I like the new features of the saw, the chain tension without tools. and the gas/oil cap removal bars. Let er rip out of the box. Good sawing with it. I cut in soft shoes and bluegenes with no problems so far. I do were a pair of ear plugs in my ears for the noise.

I could never figure chaps would stop a saw if it was full bore and hit your leg but maybe. Sounds like others use them so they may be a good idea.

I believe in doing a quick break in of the chain myself. I think it is worth the 5 minutes it takes. After that run just a little rich for a tank and let er rip! Enjoy but most of all...BE SAFE!

Ya, I've heard you should run a 2-stroke a little rich for a while to break it in. I remember an article I read a while back that said you should run the piss out of a new engine as it will seat the rings quicker. They were claiming it would ultimately develop more horsepower and last longer. Seems logical to a point. I usually run new equipment a little harder when it's in warranty to see if anything breaks!

BTW, how do you break in a chain?

Chris

Carl said:
Very nice saw. I purchased one a few months ago to replace an older 028. I like the new features of the saw, the chain tension without tools. and the gas/oil cap removal bars. Let er rip out of the box. Good sawing with it. I cut in soft shoes and bluegenes with no problems so far. I do were a pair of ear plugs in my ears for the noise.

I could never figure chaps would stop a saw if it was full bore and hit your leg but maybe. Sounds like others use them so they may be a good idea.
Ihave brother that has a hunting camp In potter county and we were up there a few years back In stalling some deer stands that will last a life time,well when we got done we started cutting shotting lanes now my brothers freind had sthil and all the get up chap gloves hard hat face sheild hearing .I use to say you dont need all that intill he was cutting 2'round oak and that chain rapped around his legg thank god he had them chaps on.the back of his leg got nicked up but was okay
Ill be getting some chaps today. I have to young ones to take care of and when your in the woods along there ant nobody around I and every one should think safty first before cutting with any saw Things might not happen today but in time it will.

Burd said:
Carl said:

Ihave brother that has a hunting camp In potter county and we were up there a few years back In stalling some deer stands that will last a life time,well when we got done we started cutting shotting lanes now my brothers freind had sthil and all the get up chap gloves hard hat face sheild hearing .I use to say you dont need all that intill he was cutting 2'round oak and that chain rapped around his legg thank god he had them chaps on.the back of his leg got nicked up but was okay
Ill be getting some chaps today. I have to young ones to take care of and when your in the woods along there ant nobody around I and every one should think safty first before cutting with any saw Things might not happen today but in time it will.

Accidents can and do happen at any time. No stopping that fact. I'm not saying you don't need them. If you feel you do then go for it. We all have our risk tolerances and should abide by them. I wouldn't laugh them off but personally I don't use them.......yet. :)

Carl said:
Accidents can and do happen at any time. No stopping that fact. I'm not saying you don't need them. If you feel you do then go for it. We all have our risk tolerances and should abide by them. I wouldn't laugh them off but personally I don't use them.......yet. :)

That is your prerogative, but in this day and age it is considered negligence. I know of several cases were insurance companies refused to may for medical bills caused by saw wounds because the user was negligent regarding the use of"standard personal protection equipment". Its your body and wallet, but I cant think of a single reason to not use good good safety gear.

Sealcove said:
Carl said:

That is your prerogative, but in this day and age it is considered negligence. I know of several cases were insurance companies refused to may for medical bills caused by saw wounds because the user was negligent regarding the use of"standard personal protection equipment". Its your body and wallet, but I cant think of a single reason to not use good good safety gear.

Yep, the insurance you pay for is mostly useless in todays age. They want the big dollar and expect no claims or they try to deny them in any mannor they can. If you do manage to collect on a claim they may cancel your insurance due to that alone. Very different from years ago and will keep getting worse. They now deny you insurance if you have a previous medical problem or will exclude you for that problem if they do accept you.........so, what is insurance for, the perfect healthy young person? :)

YO that saw was nice Got them chaps this morming and clean up the yard of and older couple That alone was worth the money I spent on that saw to help others that needs the help because they dont have the income.That to me was money well spent aslome feeling to be ble to do some thing like that Plus I got free wood. :)
So I got the chaps and they made my balls drop to my knees man they were hot next time Ill just hear the chap with out pants ;-P
How That saw really ate the wood up quickly I cut and limded 2/3 of a cord in a hour 1/2 put limes in pile till leaves fall off and stacked the reast fast saw the wood never seen it coming

Man Saw- somehow that just doesn't sound good...............

I too now have a Man Saw. The Poulan Electric finally would do know more, so I am now looking foward to trying out my Husky 345e. I can now respond to CL ads claiming wood needs to be cut in order to load into vehicle. WOOT!

And I bought the matching Husky chaps (they were on sale).

Love that saw do you?????

You poor, poor soul........

Saws are much like crack.....can't get enough. Next you'll want to try a pro series Stihl...a 360 perhaps........LOL ! ! Then the guy down the road buys a 460 and lets ya try it out.....

And modded saws are worse..........

Ran a guys modded 460.......now my 460 seems so.............weak.

At least I wasn't fool enough to run his "hot saw", just his work one.

But now I keep thinking about how MUCH I want to get my saw tricked up. Dual port the muffler, open all the ports, cut down the jug & piston top, reset timing and carb.......maybe even have the bearings changed to ceramic & coat the ports & piston top with it as well..........AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Here goes another few hundred.....

Outdoorsman said:

Saws are much like crack.....can't get enough. Next you'll want to try a pro series Stihl...a 360 perhaps........LOL ! ! Then the guy down the road buys a 460 and lets ya try it out.....

But now I keep thinking about how MUCH I want to get my saw tricked up. Dual port the muffler, open all the ports, cut down the jug & piston top, reset timing and carb.......maybe even have the bearings changed to ceramic & coat the ports & piston top with it as well..........AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Skip the crack phase and just go right for the Predator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AESHm7pdthU

Now THAT'S a man saw...

Chris

Redox said:
Outdoorsman said:

Skip the crack phase and just go right for the Predator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AESHm7pdthU

Now THAT'S a man saw...

Chris

LOL! ! A bit more than I'm up for......I'm not as big as the smaller guy running that....and I'll never in my life come close to matching his strength. But one heck of a beast.

But a all out moded 460 does appeal to me. @ 8 hp it's closer to the MS 880 than the 660, yet a bit lighter than the stock 460. Crazy fast saw, yet not a back breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.