My first paying job

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
Answered a craigslist ad from a guy who didn't have enough saw to buck this silver maple trunk. Easy $100, for two hours of work, including twenty minutes of travel each way.

Haven't seen a maple of this size this solid before. It was causing problems with his drainfield. He had somebody piece it down, but neither of them had a bar big enough to buck the trunk. He said I was welcome to the wood, but when I sank a wedge in it, water oozed out and it didn't even crack. I don't need it that bad, especially soft maple, so I took my hundred bucks and went home. Down payment on a Timberline.View attachment 70152 View attachment 70153

Jeff, your pictures aren't coming up. Try reloading them....

Been trying since I realized they didn't work. Not sure what's up.

Anyway, it was a 4-4.5 footer, cut like butter. Good time, easy money. I'll try the pics later.

We started out small and slow in our tree cutting side work, now we can compete with the bigger businesses but still make money doing it. I don't do any work that is too crazy, but I am doing work now that I would have NEVER considered doing 5 years ago when we started cutting on the side. There is still the occasional monster that I will not tangle with, due to liability issues (house or power lines too close, etc.) Looking forward to your pics....

Nice when you enjoy your work. I may have my first paying wood cutting job coming up. Still waiting to hear from the insurance. Hope to see the pics Jeff.

Reactions: ScotO
Sliver Maple when solid is about as easy as it get (Bad rotton spots and its the worst to cut).

Reactions: Thistle
Sliver Maple when solid is about as easy as it get (Bad rotton spots and its the worst to cut).

Can you see the pic, j? When I try I get an error message that says I don't have permission to view it.

Jeff, if you upload the picture to another web site, you need to paste in the address. If you upload from your computer, no problem so long as the picture is not too large. It will still take a large picture but then you choose to post it as a thumbnail picture. Really easy.

Jeff, if you upload the picture to another web site, you need to paste in the address. If you upload from your computer, no problem so long as the picture is not too large. It will still take a large picture but then you choose to post it as a thumbnail picture. Really easy.

I've posted many pics from my phone. Easy peasy, until now. It's not just my phone. I tried to post a pic from my computer that I know I've posted before, and got the same message.

I've posted many pics from my phone. Easy peasy, until now. It's not just my phone. I tried to post a pic from my computer that I know I've posted before, and got the same message.

Yep.... Happened to me when I tried to post pics of my $40 Netbook..... ;)

I ended up getting them done. But I had to re-boot the phone. The pic was under the size limit. Just needed to be shut down and restarted.

We started out small and slow in our tree cutting side work, now we can compete with the bigger businesses but still make money doing it. I don't do any work that is too crazy, but I am doing work now that I would have NEVER considered doing 5 years ago when we started cutting on the side. There is still the occasional monster that I will not tangle with, due to liability issues (house or power lines too close, etc.) Looking forward to your pics....

Scott, just curious, are you licensed and insured too.

Pat

Kinda, Sorta......we'll plead the fifth on that one........>>

Be careful bro. In todays "sue happy" world I wouldn't do anything like that without proper licenses and insuarnce.

Cool Jeff. Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Billy

Be careful bro. In todays "sue happy" world I wouldn't do anything like that without proper licenses and insuarnce.

I don't do ANY job that I feel is gong to cause me problems......I send them to my one buddy who's a landscaper and he's fully insured. Trust me, I know exactly what you are saying!

I don't do ANY job that I feel is gong to cause me problems......I send them to my one buddy who's a landscaper and he's fully insured. Trust me, I know exactly what you are saying!

I'm not sure about your area, but around here you can get insurance for $300 to $400 a year. Not out of reach if
you plan to do much work.

You can get basic (and I mean BASIC )Cost insurance for a little more than that, but I just stay away from really risky jobs. If I dint feel I can get the job done safely and properly, I walk away from it. I also give the person my bottom-line price right up front, if they haggle with me about it, I walk away from it. That's just how I do it, and I got more work lined up for than you can shake a stick at!

Status
Not open for further replies.