My first piece of Ash !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
As some of you may know I have been obsessed with Black. Black Locust & Black Birch that is. But this year I am behind on good wood to start a fire, because all I have for next season is Black Locust which sucks for starting a fire.
But today I was able to score my first piece of Ash. It was a sweet deal. Back my truck right up to it and load 10 rounds I cut off a fresh downed tree. Once home I split some and it was nice to see the moisture meter reading 18 percent. What can I say , I look forward to more Ash.

Ash is great firewood. Very versatile. I would take nothing but if I could. Locust is my favorite too. Don't like the smell of the locust smoke outside.

Because of my overload of black locust. I need a good wood to start a fire with, I have two choices -- Ash and Eastern red cedar. So I did a little test today. I got a little of both. The cedar was more work for less reward. Sure the cedar smelled nice and looked pretty with the red core and it was about 15 moisture reading too. The ash was so easy to get, no small limbs to deal with and it split very easy with the straight grain, it helped that was 18 % moisture too. I got my eyes on ash now.

Reactions: TreePointer
Don't know if it gets better than ash and locust.

Reactions: Lakeside
I totally agree. I burn 90% Ash and locust. Going to get two truckloads of Ash and two of Black locust.

Reactions: Lakeside