My first pine for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I've never used pine for firewood because I have an abundant supply of all kinds of soft and hardwoods. This one was the one I practiced on with my Grandberg mill so I figured I'd go ahead and use it. Surprised at the number of rings, looks pretty dense for pine. I think it's loblolly but not sure
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundchasm
Pine is great. Get it split and stacked. Burn it next year. You'll love it.

I love pine for the shoulder season. it is perfect, and around here people just give it to me so the price is right.

I can't wait to see the looks from some of the family and friends when they see the pine! What????? You burning pine? You gonna burn your house down!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Omaha419
Pine burns great. use for kindling or to the fire rolling then add the hardwood. I Love the aroma of Pinyon Pine to the point of having a fresh cut cord delivered right out of the mountains 150 miles away. Drys quick if chopped up like thispinyon.JPG

I'm burning pine for this first time this year during the shoulder season. I used some hemlock last year and had a pine tree fall this year so.....why not!

This reminds me of my father in law in Wyoming . I ask him why they drive long distances to cut pine for firewood?? He stopped looked at me and said ..... Cause that's all we have around here. At that point I understood why they burn pine .

Last year I burned 95% White Pine and Yellow Poplar which most tend to consider junk wood. The 5% was oak right at the last. Boy did I notice the difference! I really wanted more pine or poplar.

The pine I have now will be processed into firewood for use 4 and 5, possibly 6 seasons from now. (same for the elm and ash I recently processed)

As with all firewood, it needs to be seasoned. Pine and poplar you can get away with one year, but I prefer the minimum of a three year turn around all of my firewood.

Lodgepole pine is my day time firewood and is a great source of heat if you are around 5-6 hours later for a reload. The nice thing about pine is that you can use it all year for those times before your night time load or weekends. I will do a 3/4 full fire box at 6 pm when I get home from work and get a very intense heat through the evening and then load it with much denser larch at 11:30 for an overnight burn. You cant beat the heat from a good load of pine. c,s,s and top covered it will be good to go in a year.

Reactions: DutchMaple
I'm looking into getting more pine myself.. until visiting here , I too was under the influence of " you cant burn pine indoors" myth. I'm glad to find out that many use it regularly. And I never realized that the neighbors to the north and west , that's mostly what is available to burn. I did score about a cord of red pine and white pine mixed in. It's all split, stacked, and drying (mid July).

Here in Upstate NY it seems that Pine is the "devil" and people can't wait to be rid of it . I have gotten the " you're not going to use that inside are you ?" and I just reply its for my Maple Syrup processing ....just so I don't have to explain the pine myth. I cant wait to start mixing it in...but it wont be late winter or next year.

The pine-is-bad myth likely originated from folks who burned it green, or nearly so and suffered heavy creosote buildup and chimney fires as a result. Pine has a high resin content, 'tis true. The resin dries during seasoning, rendering it safe for use in your wood burner.

Sadly, a lot of people burn wood that really isn't cured as well as it ought to be.

Hey, first time poster, long-ish time lurker. I had to join because of this post. I'm not a wood burner for heating, only for recreation. But I love to cut wood and split. And no one I know really "gets it". But I think you guys do. Any site where someone puts up pictures of wood they cut and split (and stack) is a great site!

Thanks Rebelduckman. You a duck hunter too?

I always get a little upset when I have to change over to hard woods... I love the smell of pine. Nice aroma when I am out working in the yard.

The pine-is-bad myth likely originated from folks who burned it green, or nearly so and suffered heavy creosote buildup and chimney fires as a result. Pine has a high resin content, 'tis true. The resin dries during seasoning, rendering it safe for use in your wood burner.

Sadly, a lot of people burn wood that really isn't cured as well as it ought to be.

what I find around here is that people burn green oak... IE they only want hard woods and burn them smoldering in the fire all winter.... They say pine causes the chimney fire... Well if you CSS the pine in Feb with the oak... and then come Jan the next year and we get a good winter storm... people are running low on oak so they toss in a load of pine... the pine burns hot hot hot they get stove temps in the 600-800 range when for years they were burning wet oak in the 200-300 range... well that high heat from dry wood meats years of buildup..... FIRE FIRE FIRE... it was the PINE PINE PINE!

UH no no no it was that wet oak you burned for years and years......

Hey, first time poster, long-ish time lurker. I had to join because of this post. I'm not a wood burner for heating, only for recreation. But I love to cut wood and split. And no one I know really "gets it". But I think you guys do. Any site where someone puts up pictures of wood they cut and split (and stack) is a great site!

Thanks Rebelduckman. You a duck hunter too?

Yes sir and an ole miss rebel wood burning fool!

what I find around here is that people burn green oak... IE they only want hard woods and burn them smoldering in the fire all winter.... They say pine causes the chimney fire... Well if you CSS the pine in Feb with the oak... and then come Jan the next year and we get a good winter storm... people are running low on oak so they toss in a load of pine... the pine burns hot hot hot they get stove temps in the 600-800 range when for years they were burning wet oak in the 200-300 range... well that high heat from dry wood meats years of buildup..... FIRE FIRE FIRE... it was the PINE PINE PINE!

UH no no no it was that wet oak you burned for years and years......

Some people should not be allowed to breed, let alone have a wood burner. What a shame, burning green oak. All those BTUs wasted.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Some people should not be allowed to breed, let alone have a wood burner. What a shame, burning green oak. All those BTUs wasted.
The breeding aspect is self correcting. Ever hear of Darwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.