My First Post - Sad Story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_OilBoy

Feb 12, 2011
Western Maine
I am about to burn my last 2 bags from the aptly named Ashland Pellet Mill in Ashland Maine (Northeast Wood Pellet). Decent hardwood pellet from a mill that now belongs to the ages. Very clean and got me through many a cold night. Maybe I'll save one bag as a collectors item and pawn it to Chumley in 20 years for 1/8th its value.

Pellet_OilBoy said:
...save one bag as a collectors item and pawn it to Chumley in 20 years for 1/8th its value.

Yep, that's what I'd do. ;-)

Welcome to the forum....sorry that it's under these "circumstances" :grrr:

What other pellets are available in your area?

Lots. I work in the same town as the Maine's Choice Mill. (KABOOM!) Just bought a ton of Maine Wood Pellets(Athens, I think) at TSC this afternoon. 204/ton. Heard they are putting out a much better product now. Gonna buy 4 more ton of something when i get my tax return/working mans welfare. I heard wood prices are already starting to go up because of energy prices, so I wanna get the pellets soon. Damn, rambling already

Pellet_OilBoy said:
I am about to burn my last 2 bags from the aptly named Ashland Pellet Mill in Ashland Maine (Northeast Wood Pellet). Decent hardwood pellet from a mill that now belongs to the ages. Very clean and got me through many a cold night. Maybe I'll save one bag as a collectors item and pawn it to Chumley in 20 years for 1/8th its value.

You jogged the old memory here. I remember the Ashland pellet mill burning down. Drats I thought, I just got my stove,
and a good pellet mfg just burned down !

But hold on there, before that last Ashland pellet bag goes to auction for $200 ! You may be able to sell it back to the
company for big bucks !

The former owner got a big grant recently to rebuild. Here is the article:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7261436_grants-pellet-making.html

I hope they come back. I am enjoying out of state pellets that burn hot, but would really like to buy local pellets that
are just as good.

Can you post a picture of the Ashland pellet bag ?

With a bag like that, its gotta be good

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-02-12 at 18.59.jpg
    Photo on 2011-02-12 at 18.59.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 621
Pellet_OilBoy said:

Made me chuckle, definitely collectors item.

Pellet_OilBoy said:
Lots. I work in the same town as the Maine's Choice Mill. (KABOOM!) Just bought a ton of Maine Wood Pellets(Athens, I think) at TSC this afternoon. 204/ton. Heard they are putting out a much better product now. Gonna buy 4 more ton of something when i get my tax return/working mans welfare. I heard wood prices are already starting to go up because of energy prices, so I wanna get the pellets soon. Damn, rambling already

MWP has definely improved this season. And so has Corinths latest from the mill. There stepping things up and the end product is far better IMHO. I believe they have been paying close attention to our complaints and there working to fix some of the quality issues. Maine Choice has also been getting some nice comments from members(can't say first hand as I haven't burned any since the fire). I'll buy them as long as the prices are competetive during the spring sales!

Welcome aboard, that mill burned before I had a chance to try any of their product, I keep hoping they'll get up and running again. There was talk last year about another new startup around Unity somewhere, but then that got put on hold I guess. I burned about 2 1/2 ton of the MC last year and was happy with 'em, been mostly MWP this year, been happy with them, too. Keep it local if ya can.

hossthehermit said:
Welcome aboard, that mill burned before I had a chance to try any of their product, I keep hoping they'll get up and running again. There was talk last year about another new startup around Unity somewhere, but then that got put on hold I guess. I burned about 2 1/2 ton of the MC last year and was happy with 'em, been mostly MWP this year, been happy with them, too. Keep it local if ya can.

I was able to burn a few bags before they had the fire. Bought them from Blanchard's Fuel in Turner.
As I remember they were similar to the MWP of this year.
Hope they make a come back!
Oil in our area is $3.20 right now and even higher Downeast!

Status
Not open for further replies.