My first real/correct wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pile of mixed wood (some pine, mostly hardwood) I got today in a two cord drop. It's all green and I want to season it over the summer so it;s at lwast pretty good to go by later fall. I built one of those racks using those metal brackets that take 2 X 4s. I'm having a problem with the splits being less than the two foot width of the rack. What's the best way to shore it up, a big piece of plywood to close up the ends or a few 2 X 4s?

Thank you.

Wine Guy, One version I use on 2 row stack. At the end of the rows I erect 2, 2X4, 6ft high, in the middle of each row, screwed into a 2x2 mounted to the pallet. Near the top I tie them together with a 2x2. Near the top I tie 1/4 nylon rope to each side. I use wood screws and fender washer's to secure the ropes into the end of a log back in the stack. Then I fill the rows up against 2x4.

The summer sun, loose stack and a good breeze can do wonders. I'd do a criss cross stack, out in the open with a south west exposure, in the sun all day. Some say rain is not a issue, during the initial drying period, but I keep my stacks dry all the time. But will it be good to go this winter, maybe, a good hot bed of coals will dry out and burn just about anything you put in there. The start up and slow burn becomes the problem with wet wood. I never did this but I think you could weigh and mark some pieces and weigh again in the fall. You might try finding some dead stuff, it was seasoned before bucking.

it all makes ash in the stove, as a wise man told me once...

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Is it too late to get green wood seasoned well enough for this year's burning season? Does it continue to dry out much during the winter?
As stated, stack it loose, get it in the sun (I wouldn't cover it), and you will probably be okay for this winter as long as you're not talking about oak. It won't be 100% seasoned, but it should be sufficient to burn. And yes, wood continues to season nicely in the winter. It might be cool, but the air is much dryer than the wood and the wind is typically blowing pretty good...

Status
Not open for further replies.