My first Sandy scrounge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddypd

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2012
Long Island NY
Hurricane Sandy really hit Long Island hard. I am hoping to make some good out of all this bad. We still have lots and lots of people with no power and flooded homes with not much end in sight. There are miles and miles of trees lining the local streets. I just need to get out there and make some room. I hope I don't grab any pine. Still not that great at ID. I usually look at the surrounding branches to look for leaves and not needles.

I believe this is locust.

IMG_6993.JPG

....and this should be Oak? Putting my new trailer to use.

IMG_6992.JPG

yeah, thats locust, LI is loaded with locust, it topples easy due to growing in sandy soil and shallower roots, you should be able to clean up. My wood is buried under 9 inches of snow, its supposed to melt soon so Ill do some scrounging this weekend.

I think your right. First pic looks like honey locust, and second looks like oak. In my experience, black locust is the best, honey locust, not as much.

I know what you mean about the storm damage and what people have gone through and then here you come along, can I cut up and take that downed tree for you? Like walking on eggshells

Nice work freddypd. Good BTUs there man. Even if you get pine and it is free, it is still free. Just make sure it is split small and stacked outside for over a year. Then it will dry out well and give you good BTUs. Burns faster, but still keeps you warm. Obviously, if you can get plenty of hardwood, that is better. Happy scrounging!

Nice scrounge, too bad about the circumstances. At least the wood won't go to waste.

Random thought: What if you loaded a wheelbarrow or 2 of dry splits in the truck when you go out scrounging. Then you could ask folks if they or anyone they know are still out of power & could use it in a fireplace? I guess most probably have some kind of heat sorted by now... Can always drag it back home.

Nice selective scrounging
Keep it coming as long as you have room.

Snow melt today?

Nice scrounge, too bad about the circumstances. At least the wood won't go to waste.

Random thought: What if you loaded a wheelbarrow or 2 of dry splits in the truck when you go out scrounging. Then you could ask folks if they or anyone they know are still out of power & could use it in a fireplace? I guess most probably have some kind of heat sorted by now... Can always drag it back home.

Thats a great idea. We are going on day 10 without power for some people. I told my friends to take what they need from me but didn't think of offering to strangers. Good job Midwestcoast

Hoping to donate some food and cleaning supplies this weekend to the local shelters.

Nice selective scrounging
Keep it coming as long as you have room.

Snow melt today?

I shoveled the wet heavy snow this morning knowing that Sunday is predicted to be 60. What a waste of time, but good little workout. It already is half melted.

Nice scrounge Freddy.....it's all over the place for the taking.

Yeah the devastation is unbelievable. I actually couldn't bring myself to do any scrounging with all the people in such need for help.
I went 9 days without power. I had a generator so my gasifier was cranking out heat. I gave a lot of firewood away.

I did score about 2 cord of oak helping out a friend who had a monster tree fall across his driveway.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have actually seen more oaks down compared to last year with Irene when there were tons of locust down.

Welcome back, M.ike!

You're right.. alot of oaks down. Big ones.

Thanks Dixie,

It feels good to back. How did you fair the storm? Hopefully well.

I live in Northport and the North Shore got pounded with wind.
I guess there weren't many locust left from last year so the oaks had to go.

Big ones is the truth, like 36"-48" diameters and bigger. What a shame.

Put my new Fiskars x27 to use today. Feels great.

View attachment 81179

Another member from LAWNG GUYLAND. Welcome freddypd! Nice looking cutting tools you have there. What did you split with the x27? I am wondering if I should go with the 27 or the 25. I have the x27 on my Santa list. I think it will be a good tool for between my collins 2-1/2 axe and my maul.

Welcome to the forum Blue.

All set? No. That is a darned good start though. Get 3 years ahead and then for sure you are all set.
Thanks for the welcome and you're right I don't want to be stuck every year buying semi seasoned wood like I am this year.

I got me some BL also, along with some oak and silver maple i believe...I JUST DON'T HAVE THE LAND!! The fellow I got the BL from said he is taking down 7 more trees....Oh, dare to dream...Any scroungers on L.I., go behind PETCO on Hempstead tpke...You're welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.