My first score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leakypuppy

Mar 3, 2008
Northern NJ
A neighbor down the street was having two large oaks removed so I stopped by and asked for the trunk pieces. She talked to the tree guys and they said they'd be happy to bring them up to my house and 6 hours later the truck was in the driveway. It cost me $45.00 to tip the driver. This was my first score like this and I have to say it was a bit more than I bargained for. The problem is moving the rounds and finding a place to stack them. I don't have a large lot and my neighborhood is very residential. Ideally I'd like to drop them where I plan on splitting so I don't have to cart them around the yard.

Attachments

• crane.jpg
    crane.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 464
  • rogs.jpg
    rogs.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 468
after some cutting...

Attachments

• rnds.jpg
    rnds.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 438
nice score

I know how it is to burn in a residental area, cut it get it behind your fence. Find a place to put pallets stack on the pallets.

I'll post another photo tonight of where I've stashed it all...

Wow, excellent score. Looking forward to hearing how many cord you got out of it.

Great score!

Thats not a score...thats a freakin mother load.....log lenght delivered to you house for $45 smackers......YEEE HAW.
Your cookie in your avatar should have a smile on the face of a cig hangin our its mouth after scoring that. Giddie up!

Nice looking logs, almost a shame to see them cut for firewood...

Quit scrounging wood immediately. You've started at the top and have nowhere to go but down. Wood scores don't get any better than a pile of oak delivered to your house.

Heck, for another $5 you prob'ly could've gotten all the larger limbs, too. %-P Rick

SWEET!!! I love big oak.

I noticed in your first pic the log on the top left had a "blue-black" stain on the end. What I have noticed when I see that, is that there generally is some sort of metal nearby. Careful with that chain.

KC

fossil said:
Heck, for another $5 you prob'ly could've gotten all the larger limbs, too. %-P Rick

I could've had the whole load for $45.00 but I'd no place to put it AND my wife would have freaked!!

iskiatomic said:
SWEET!!! I love big oak.

I noticed in your first pic the log on the top left had a "blue-black" stain on the end. What I have noticed when I see that, is that there generally is some sort of metal nearby. Careful with that chain.
KC

Does that mean someone marked that piece or the blue is from a sawblade hitting metal? I don't recall hitting any metal but did dull up a chain pretty quick at one point while cutting and thought I'd touched my driveway...

Hmmm.... Thought this was going to be a thread about high school. :lol:

That is a nice looking load of wood. My wife would have freaked if didn't take it all.

Well, now, BB, you've started all those sweet memories rolling around that really have no appropriate place outside my own brain. Thanks, it's been a while since I revisited that time. Rick

A few more scores like that and you are all set for sure. Congratulations.

A couple more pics of my stack, as you can see there isn't much room...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 266
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 263
Nice job on the oak. I, at times, have a hard time finding room for all the wood I get. My wife tolerates it pretty well but if I ever started stacking under my kid's playset, she would kill me! Good luck

Outstanding story from start to finish. Great score! I agree, you have nowhere to go but down, from being that lucky. ;-) Nice job stashing it all in a small back yard.

leakypuppy said:
iskiatomic said:
SWEET!!! I love big oak.

KC

Does that mean someone marked that piece or the blue is from a sawblade hitting metal? I don't recall hitting any metal but did dull up a chain pretty quick at one point while cutting and thought I'd touched my driveway...

What he means is a long time ago a nail or screw or something METAL was put in that tree. The metal turns the wood around it blue as the tree grows around the piece of metal. That's the worst thing about residential tree jobs is all the nails/screws from people posting signs, hanging flowers and running clothes lines fills the tree full of metal over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.