My first score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
Opened the doors at work today and see my neighbor putting out a load of wood scrap (a door/window shop). All sorts of fancy hard woods and its all bone dry, this stuff should get my fire’s going fast and hot.

The real wood is on its way now, just a cord of mixed fir/hemlock, hopefully it’s dry seasoned like they say, better be for $285/cord. It's my first year so i don't know if a cord will do me, we will see.

IMG-20111221-00083.jpg

Great kindling.
Looks to be really dry, should get your fires burning fast
Nice score :)

That stuff should be great to mix in with the other wood or use food kindling. Nice score

Nice score Kevin. Be sure and post a pic when the cord shows up! ;)

Get all of that you can. I use kiln dried cabinet scraps for kindling and it works great. 285 a cord? Id go visit your local stihl dealer asap haha

Some potentially beautiful picture frames, little jewelry boxes, whatever there. With plenty of scraps still left over for the woodstove. Just seems a kind of a shame to a woodworker. :shut: Rick

Looks to be some softwoods in there as well, firs and pine.

Fir and hemlock will burn up fast wont it?

fossil said:
Some potentially beautiful picture frames, little jewelry boxes, whatever there. With plenty of scraps still left over for the woodstove. Just seems a kind of a shame to a woodworker. :shut: Rick

No kidding.I got boxes of the stuff,some 20+ yrs old.Both 'scrap' brought home from jobsites & cutoffs etc from my own lumber purchases & milling used for various projects.Inlay,small furniture hardware like turned finials,knobs & pulls,all kinds of stuff.Just depends on your imagination.

wishlist said:
Nice score Kevin. Be sure and post a pic when the cord shows up! ;)

Bummer, the wood supplier's wood was wet inside and out so i refused. starting the search again.

$285/cord?? :bug:

Not that my firewood is any different. Ponderosa pine from a thinning project 2-3 yrs ago. But in Eastern MT that goes for $100-125 c/s or $150 c/s/s.

I get a lot of scrap like that from a friend who has a saw mill and makes furniture. It is totally awesome, especially for cold start.

Oh yes! My first score! I shall never forget it. Wait! This is a different story. Yes, getting a good score like that is great too.

A bud who brings cabinet wood ends like that says it was kiln dried to less than 10%. Lights awesome even on a weak coal bed. A good score you got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.