my first scrounge/free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSDave

Dec 29, 2011
Halifax NS Canada
Like most people here, I've begun to change my view on how I see trees now ; I keep thinking HEY I could burn that in my stove!

Well Friday a buddy calls and is clearing his back yard. Its already cut into 5 -8 ft lengths and he has a trailer! It was very heavy/wet being spring time; and of course we had a downpour the day after it was cut.

Heres a pic. Mostly Black Spruce I think; some white birch , the odd small maple and a poplar or two. logs1.jpg

That'll make a nice stack of splits.
May even be ready this winter, spruce dries fast.

Thanks, I started tonight cutting up the smaller branches which aren't in the pic. I figured I can have it cut and split over the next week or so, taking my time in the evenings.

That's a good start for something you may be doing for years to come.

I hear you . . . one great thing about these EPA stoves is that while the softwoods may not burn as long as the hardwood, you can still get a decent burn time from the "junk" wood that some folks would leave behind.

Reactions: mecreature
It looks like mostly spruce. Is Black Spruce the usual type of spruce in your area? Up in Alaska Balck Spruce are very common but tend to be very small. Spruce as large as yours are usually White Spruce. It is interesting to see Black Spruce that are large enough to split.

WD: If you think its white spruce you are probably correct; Black was what the guy who cut it down told my buddy. I did some reading and will have to find a branch to check for sure I guess

Way to go, NSDave! :)

OK guys, any guesses as to what this will stack out to (cords, not face cords) ;) including the smaller limbs in back of the logs, and the small branches that NSDave said aren't shown in the pic?
That's a good start for something you may be doing for years to come.
Yeah....grabbing free wood! ::-)

Nova Scotia is a long way from Alaska, so maybe your Black Spruce are a lot bigger than the ones in Alaska. I have no way to tell from the photos. I'd take the local guy's word over mine.

very nice pile of wood. Best keep up on it, you will find yourself bringing more wood home real quick.

Nova Scotia is a long way from Alaska, so maybe your Black Spruce are a lot bigger than the ones in Alaska. I have no way to tell from the photos. I'd take the local guy's word over mine.

I'll see if I can get a better pic later today.

Dave, may the wood keep finding its way to your home! Nice find.

Reactions: NSDave
Ok here's a pic of the log with a branch ; the redish tinge is proabably from the chain oil, another of another kind of wood Poplar? and of course Milly the wood carying dog. ( carrying AWAY from the cutting area )

Attachments

• mystery wood.jpg
    mystery wood.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 89
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 93
  • milly.jpg
    milly.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 100
Good catch, Dave. The pictures are nice, but don't show how large your yard is. If the wood (gathering) addiction takes hold of you, the stacks & stacks & stacks could take alot of room. That's a good start!

Thanks Gark; I am in a pretty residential area ; I'd guess just over a 1/4 acre lot or smaller. Its a much larger lot than the new subdivisions they are building these days, but I can still chat with the neighbors without having to shout. I'd have preferred to be further out in the woods with a huge lot, like some of the folks here have; BUT have to compromise with the mrs.

Right now the wood "shed" is whats under a 14x16 deck, there's 3 or 4cords hanging out there right now, of hardwood, all at least 2 years seasoned, plus whatever I get from this find.

Dave, given that you still have some of the branches, try rolling a needle between your thumb and index finger. If it rolls, that is, if the needle is square, then it's spruce for sure. If it is flat, and does not roll between your fingers, it's fir. As a quick look, it looks to be spruce.

Given the size of the tree, and the scaly look of the bark, I'd expect it's probably white spruce.

Let us know!

nice! Congrats on the first score.

Dave, given that you still have some of the branches, try rolling a needle between your thumb and index finger. If it rolls, that is, if the needle is square, then it's spruce for sure. If it is flat, and does not roll between your fingers, it's fir. As a quick look, it looks to be spruce.

Given the size of the tree, and the scaly look of the bark, I'd expect it's probably white spruce.

Let us know!

+1 . . . Sometimes you can tell by the shape of the needles on the branch . . . spruce needles tend to grow all the way around the branch versus fir which often (but not always) present in a flattened sort of arrrangement.

Also . . . spruce needles tend to have more of a point versus fir which has more of a blunt tip to them.

I cannot tell if that is poplar or not . . . side shot of the bark would help out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.