My first scrounge - Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tansao

Dec 30, 2010
Worcester, MA
Scored off craigslist, a local tree company needed someone to take away a cord or so of oak, so I took some time off and snagged it this morning.

I don't think this is red oak. Is it white oak or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_20110408_155404.jpg
    IMG_20110408_155404.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_20110408_155320.jpg
    IMG_20110408_155320.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 261
I think there may be more than one type of tree there. I think the round in the foreground is Norway Maple. I also think I see some Sugar Maple, for example the Y piece in the lower left of the first picture. In the second picture, down low and behind the star round of the picture I may see a piece of Red Oak, but it is hard to say given that I see only a small part of the bark of the wood. I think the same piece of what might be Red Oak is below the main round of the first picture.

No, I am just a noob. Hehe. Looking forward to learning alot while here from all you seasoned (pun intended) veterans.

There were, I think, 2 trees felled that I snagged. One was a larger trunk, with the bottom diameter maybe 22-24". The other was a little smaller. 18-20" diameter at the bottom. Both were heavy as hell getting into 2 pickups. There may have been a third, I'm not sure. I didn't see the red tinge of red oak in the flesh of either. I'll try to take more pics today while splitting it.

Tansao said:
Scored off craigslist, a local tree company needed someone to take away a cord or so of oak, so I took some time off and snagged it this morning.

I don't think this is red oak. Is it white oak or something else?
The little hole at the 3 oclock spot on that round may be an ant hole. I would split that right there and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.