MY first true experience with an OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yesterday I was riding my bike on an errand and passed an OWB in it's full glory.
OMG!!!!! I've seen open fires that cause a LOT less smoke it was absolutely choking, thick smoke

The question I have... Does anyone know if there's anything being done on a state level to get these things cleaned up or outlawed?
NY state

NYS and Vermont have new regulations that essentially ban new OWBs in most applications. More in the works in other states and localities.

Pook, how did you get your nic to display backwards?

I guess, then, that a building burning down and an EPA stove are similar in some respects????

It's pretty funny that folks are getting their back up because others believe in the fact that OTHERS have rights to clean air!

Hey, Husky - 4 posts and nasty already! If you came here to rant about the fact that we promote clean and efficient wood burning.....well, please accept my personal invitation to leave. This board is for people helping others to burn cleanly and efficiently. A clown who is smoking up the valley in June is NOT our target customer, nor (it sounds) are you.

Enjoy your unit, and please take the chip off your shoulder. Just because someone makes a decision to burn cleanly or efficiently...I don't see where that affects you. If you made the right decision for you and your neighbors, fine!

Eric Johnson said:
Pook, how did you get your nic to display backwards?

Your Control Panel---->Username and Password---->Screenname

I think most of the bad publicity comes from units with little pre-instalation thought on placement and stack height. Also the burning of undesirables. Common sense with these issues would alleviate many problems . Sounds like you have it figured out so you shouldn't have to worry.

The Administrator said...."Hey, Husky - 4 posts and nasty already! If you came here to rant about the fact that we promote clean and efficient wood burning.....well, please accept my personal invitation to leave. This board is for people helping others to burn cleanly and efficiently. A clown who is smoking up the valley in June is NOT our target customer, nor (it sounds) are you."

Doesn't sound to me that any of you really care if someone gets bent out of shape because what they do is looked down upon. Maybe this is why he gaot nasty...

...Pyro Extraordinaire said and I quote "The question I have… Does anyone know if there’s anything being done on a state level to get these things cleaned up or outlawed?

So he can say he thinks they should be OUTLAWED but no one else is allowed to defend themselves or give their opinion.

First, if they outlaw one, that will lead to them all going eventually. Their way of controlling your money and who gets paid.

Second... I guess anyone who has invested in a OWB is just suppossed to 'Suck it up" and take the financial hit.

You say you promote clean burning, as do I. But it only takes a few dumb comments like "OUTLAW THEM" to get the attention of those of us that are doing it right and still taking the blame.

You can block this post if it rubs you the wrong way. It's your forum and you can do what yo want.

It seems funny to me that one person can call another irresponsible, but the next guy can't defend his actions or give his opinions.

Hey, its me.....

It's all a matter of tone......when you start being nasty to a person (the gov) who is blind....what's next, pushing wheelchairs off the cliff?

If you are angry - fine, but just remember that does not make your actions or your words correct.......keep in mind that no one here forced all the "bad apples" to burn tires or stumps in their OWBs, nor did we force the government or regulators to clamp down on them. Save your rants for your elected or appointed representatives.

As to "all sides of the story", this is not Fox news. We are a forum which encourages responsible use of resources. Consider if you were visiting a forum about clean cars. That does not mean YOU have to have a clean car. Maybe you can just tune yours up and be lighter on the gas for a decade until your next purchase...which might be a cleaner car.

Considering that:
1. Clean burning technology has been around for over 20 years...with wood stoves and boilers/furnaces
2. Regulation are already in place for many of these appliances, with more on the way
3. Most people do live in close proximity to other homes.
4. Many people have to pay for wood, and therefore need the most MPG

I don't see the downside of promotion of cleaner equipment - nor do I see a problem with Warren expressing shock at the smoke belching in June! Heck, if the smoke was belching out of an indoor unit (in June), I think he (and others) would feel the same way.

I hope we can all chill out and recognize that everybody has a different opinion and situation. We have quite a few threads talking about OWB use and maintenance, setup, etc. and nobody loses their cool. Heck, until this year I had a Royall smoke dragon and I managed to coexist here for about 3 or 4 years without getting any posts deleted. And yes, I took some abuse for burning an obscene amount of wood and creating smoke, but it made sense for me at the time. Nobody is suggesting that people with OWBs do anything other than burn them as efficiently and cleanly as possible. Anybody looking for help along those lines gets it here.

Craig and I just finished an article about OWBs in the article section of this website. I think it's a fair analysis and presentation of the facts as we understand them. Maybe some of you OWB guys would like to check it out and let us know what you think. It's the first in a series on different wood-fired central heat options.

Eric and Craig,
Excellent article and as a user of an OWB for 7 years, I concur with the article. I loved my OWB but not for the location that I live in (in Village limits of a small town).

I concur opinions are fine, please share. But if you are disrespectful or out of line you get your ass thrown out. Just like a bar when you start to get beligerant. You end up on the sidewalk on your head or ass if your lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.