My first Vermont Castings Non Cat experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vermont Castings had a huge share of the stove market and very high customer loyalty.

The new corporate ownership of this brand has an excellent opportunity to assure and grow this.

MHSC, http://www.mhsc.com/, please take note.

I think most of us here would love to see VC get back on their feet and restore the company's good name. Hopefully they will improve their refractory castings to the level of their cast iron castings. Doing that and tweaking the NC design to be a bit more draft flexible should help a lot.

BeGreen said:
I think most of us here would love to see VC get back on their feet and restore the company's good name. Hopefully they will improve their refractory castings to the level of their cast iron castings. Doing that and tweaking the NC design to be a bit more draft flexible should help a lot.

I see this issue differently from you. I see competent wood burners having good results with the VC Everburn. Then I see newbies who don't even know what a good coal bed is blame the VC engineering group for a bad design.

This ain't rocket science.

The stoves work well in a narrow range flue setups similar to what they were tested and designed with. There are many seasoned wood burners that know what they're doing and have been unhappy with the Everburns. Most often the difference is that the stove is connected to a shorter or very tall flue.

Rapid River said:
BeGreen said:

I see this issue differently from you. I see competent wood burners having good results with the VC Everburn. Then I see newbies who don't even know what a good coal bed is blame the VC engineering group for a bad design.

This ain't rocket science.

Wait till the competent wood burners remove the flue and do their annual cleaning after 2-3 seasons, and ask them how much crumbled refractory material they find in the rear chambers. There are several pics of this in this thread:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4188/P154/

This material is so fragile, that you can easily poke your finger right through it (someone did this and posted a pic a while back). These refractory assemblies are not built to last. That is poor design by anyone's standard. You have to completely disassemble the stove to replace it, and that is no small task, and the replacement parts are >$400 and we no longer have warranties. So I hope you can understand why there have been a few complaints.

As for the comments about the videos - I'll assume you are talking about the videos I created, but I don't know what you are talking about since the everburn stove is working beautifully as it is supposed to in this video series:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14536/

Yea I do stack splits near my stove, a lot of people do, it drives off all moisture (even though my wood is top-covered and split/seasoned for more than a year, it still helps). They aren't there for very long. As for leaving the door open, I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about, the ash pan door? Yes, I crack it for EVERY COLD START, it gets the fire going quickly. I can start it without doing that, but it creates a lot of smoke and requires much more time. You don't see me opening the door any other time, and it's only open for a few minutes. I bet if you surveyed people that had a similar stove design, the majority of them do it the same way.

Furthermore - we COULD be comparing apples and oranges here. I noticed a bunch of new positive comments from people, especially with the encore NC (and I'm glad to see this by the way!). According to VC executives, they did some tweaking of the design, specifically to the shoe - increasing the bore hole size and also the angles to improve secondary combustion. I have NO IDEA but perhaps this could account for some of the more favorable recent reviews. On the flip side, I've also recently received email from several different people, and seen new threads - all describing many of the "same old" problems - one guys stove was overfiring and glowing, another person was having a lot of difficulty achieving consistent "everburns" another complaining about burn times, etc.

I like to be as neutral as I can be, and totally honest. I've covered all the good and bad about my stove. I thought the videos were actually very positive...

Gordo,

Your videos have greatly contributed to my success with the stove.

Thank you!

Diabel said:
Gordo,

Your videos have greatly contributed to my success with the stove.

Thank you!

I agree! Thanks

I called to have our stove gone over after not using it for over 10 years - the first stove person I contacted, who was unafilliated with VC, told me that he loves VC stoves and also hates them. He says that he loves them because they give him lots of extra work but he hates them because they are so much trouble to rebuild. We didn't use him because he wasn't going to be available for 2 - 3 months so it appears that he has a good reputation.

It seems to me that there must be a valid reason for so many complaints. Maybe the stoves work really well only under certain conditions, (especially with catalysts), but not under other conditions, but from what I've seen other stoves seem to be a lot less demanding.

Sophie said:
I called to have our stove gone over after not using it for over 10 years - the first stove person I contacted, who was unafilliated with VC, told me that he loves VC stoves and also hates them. He says that he loves them because they give him lots of extra work but he hates them because they are so much trouble to rebuild. We didn't use him because he wasn't going to be available for 2 - 3 months so it appears that he has a good reputation.

It seems to me that there must be a valid reason for so many complaints. Maybe the stoves work really well only under certain conditions, (especially with catalysts), but not under other conditions, but from what I've seen other stoves seem to be a lot less demanding.

Sophie,

I would call an actual VC dealer that has a positive product and customer support attitude. It is very common for dealers to bash ANY brand they don't sell! Apparently the dealer you called did not sell VC. Actually, I prefer the Vermont Castings NC stoves over cat, as the Everburn and previously called, pre-EPA as "horizontal combustion." Both have been problem free and very durable for me.

When I ever need a 3rd stove in the future, I will consider Vermont Casting first. The dealer can dramatically affect the ownership experience and customer loyalty. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your stoves and keep warm!

To continue the ongoing saga of my VC Defiant Encore....late last night I had put a few logs in the stove, closed the damper and turned down the thermostat. When I checked it before going to bed I noticed that there was a significant amount of flame even though I had turned it down - I found that I couldn't latch the door. That was when I really freaked and quickly got got the significant other's attention. He couldn't latch it closed either and ended up staying up all night with it.

He, of course, was only able to work on it after it cooled off. What he found was that the right door had sagged - the door bolts weren't loose, but the latch wasn't lining up. He said it was a real PITA but finally got it right. He says that the gaskets are a lot tighter - I'm much fussier about it than he is, so I can't confirm that yet.

Will repost when I know more..

It is very common for dealers to bash ANY brand they don’t sell! Apparently the dealer you called did not sell VC.

Valhalla - it was not a dealer that bashed VC - he is an independent that just services stoves - my understanding is that he doesn't sell stoves.

A good deal on a VC on craigslist:

Vermont Casting Woodstove - 18 yrs old. Model is Defiant Encore. Needs parts and labor to restore from water damage. :ahhh: New stove value over $2500.00. Has been used daily in home until damper problem 2 days ago.

http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/921556070.html

Thought this might give someone a laugh or maybe not...

Maybe I need a new stove..

Sophie said:
A good deal on a VC on craigslist:
Vermont Casting Woodstove - 18 yrs old. Model is Defiant Encore. Needs parts and labor to restore from water damage. :ahhh: New stove value over $2500.00. Has been used daily in home until damper problem 2 days ago.
http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/921556070.html
Thought this might give someone a laugh or maybe not...
Maybe I need a new stove..

Dearest Sophie:
It is time. Stop futzing ( a Happy Valley term )with a badly used, maybe dangerous product. Get an appliance that will do the job safely, efficiently, and please you and the other. Your purchase will help the economy, the planet, and save you $$$$$ that will be amortized in the time it takes you to drink your mochachino double bit latte straight up.
Do it.
LOve,
DE

Stop futzing ( a Happy Valley term )with a badly used, maybe dangerous product

The sentiment is much appreciated - however the stove for sale is not mine if that is what you believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.