My first week as a wood stove user....and I frigin love it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Well, 2 things I've learned right quick.

1) How did I ever live without this thing? I have the smaller century stove but still, it's just leaps and bounds better than my old fireplace, I mean LEAPS better. My wood goes further, this thing burns much hotter and is just much easier to deal with. In the last week, I've decreased my heat pump usage BIGTIME. In a 24 hour period my heat pump comes on at about 3-4AM when my overnight burn dies out (still learning that part). But I'm ok with that because instead of using my heat pump/electric heat to heat my home 24 hours a day, I'm now using it at the most 4-5 hours. I can't wait to get my electric bill to see how much it is. I just love being nice and warm and not having to hear the fan running. My wife laughs at me at how happy I've been this last week.....I just love it when an investment shows immediate results like this. She too is VERY happy and she loves the stove as much as I do.

2) For my small house (about 1500 sqft.) this little stove has about cooked me out a few times. I look at the temp gauge on the heat pump thermostat on the wall and it has said 86 twice. lol I find it humorous that it's 29 degrees outside and I've got windows open throughout the house. I guess that's a good problem to have. I do need to figure out how to shuttle some of that heat into the back bedrooms a little better. It's warm back there but could be a little warmer.

Thanks to the guys that answered my other thread about my logs not burning well. I went and resplit about 20 of them into smaller splits and they burn great now. I also cleaned out my shop and found about 50 small chunks of old 2X4, 2X6, plywood chunks, some old cedar liner chunks, etc and that is great to start my fire with in the morning.

When I first came across this website I kinda laughed at how excited everyone got about burning wood. Well, I am now a believer and will never have a home without a wood burning stove.

Thanks! (tear)

Hooked for sure, now. Nothing like looking at a fire that is heating your house. Now, you and the wifey get cozy in front of the stove with a bottle of wine and see where it goes!

MarkG

Glad you're loving your new stove. I have a medium-sized century that I put in this year to replace the old smoke dragon that was in the house when I bought it. I have to say I'm impressed with mine, too. I'm heating 24/7 and am extremely comfortable. These new EPA stoves are just so much more efficient that most of the older stoves. I'd encourage anyone with an old smoke dragon not to be afraid of switching out to a newer stove. Just do your home work and know how large a firebox you'll need to heat the space in your home.

yukiginger said:
Hooked for sure, now. Nothing like looking at a fire that is heating your house. Now, you and the wifey get cozy in front of the stove with a bottle of wine and see where it goes!

MarkG

Dirty minds think alike. lol I already have my bear skin rug on order.

InTheRockies said:
Glad you're loving your new stove. I have a medium-sized century that I put in this year to replace the old smoke dragon that was in the house when I bought it. I have to say I'm impressed with mine, too. I'm heating 24/7 and am extremely comfortable. These new EPA stoves are just so much more efficient that most of the older stoves. I'd encourage anyone with an old smoke dragon not to be afraid of switching out to a newer stove. Just do your home work and know how large a firebox you'll need to heat the space in your home.

I totally agree. My old fireplace would keep us alive if/when we lost power, but this little century stove would make no power no big deal. I've yet to get a hardcore secondary burn....that seems to be elusive. I guess that comes with time and experience with this stove.

With my little one making me so happy, I can't imagine how great it must be to have one of the nicer stoves with the larger firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.