My first Wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 19, 2008
NY
Well its all stacked.... Since this is my first time is there anything I need to do to make it better? Should I cover it and if so When? The guy I got the wood from told me it was cut and split in the early fall of 2007.

Attachments

• wood 005.jpg
    wood 005.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 752
  • wood 006.jpg
    wood 006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 750
  • wood 007.jpg
    wood 007.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 752
Take the fencing off the front and make three more rows like that and you will be good to go.

Its an old Dog Run that was here when i moved in. There was a dog house at one end and the gate at the other. I took the dog house out and the gate is still there so I can get to the wood from either end. I didnt have anywhere else to put it that would have had the wood in a nice sunny spot and still kept the wife happy so thats where it ended up.

Adios Pantalones said:
Why the chainlink fence around it? It's going to be tough to get to
That kind of wood has leg's thats why you have to lock them up. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Take the fencing off the front and make three more rows like that and you will be good to go.

I didnt even think of taking the fence off the front. That would have made it easier to stack...

Thats 3 full cords of wood do you think I will need more then that for this winter?

Im working on the wood for winter of 2009 next.

Andy99 said:
Well its all stacked.... Since this is my first time is there anything I need to do to make it better? Should I cover it and if so When? The guy I got the wood from told me it was cut and split in the early fall of 2007.

the way oil prices are i bet there will be a lot more wood fenced in!!!!!!
nice neat pile .....with security!

budman said:
Adios Pantalones said:
Why the chainlink fence around it? It's going to be tough to get to
That kind of wood has leg's thats why you have to lock them up. :lol:

My wife thinks we should chain it up with the way the price of wood is going she might be right. My father was at work the other day and when they went to leave about 6 of the guys cars were making this horrible sound. Some one stole the catalytic converters off of 6 of the guys cars in broad daylight! I might come home from work one day and find my wood gone. HHMMM Yeah thats why its in there Im going to lock it up....Umm I did that on purpose...;-)

Andy99 said:
My wife thinks we should chain it up with the way the price of wood is going she might be right. My father was at work the other day and when they went to leave about 6 of the guys cars were making this horrible sound. Some one stole the catalytic converters off of 6 of the guys cars in broad daylight!
Platinum is over $2000/oz.

Andy99 said:
BrotherBart said:

I didnt even think of taking the fence off the front. That would have made it easier to stack...

Thats 3 full cords of wood do you think I will need more then that for this winter?

Is that one row or two in the fence. How long, how high and what are the split lengths?

I love the fence look, especially if you have kids that like to poke at the pile.......I wish I small fence like that. I am going to get soooooo much wood the next couple of months I have no idea of where to put it. I already have about 12-14 face cords outside my fence area so my little guy does get at the wood or more importantly the ant traps or dust that I have on the ground. I guess I should not complain about getting extra free wood :) I have been "free" for about 4 months now resting my bones until the 6 face cords come from a load and then all the free pin cherry that I will have to cut up and split compliments of my next door neighbor :cheese:

I think I will have to buy another couple of guard dogs to protect my wood piles this year!

BrotherBart said:
Andy99 said:
BrotherBart said:

Is that one row or two in the fence. How long, how high and what are the split lengths?

The split lengths are 18 inches.

I have two rows deep so that's 36 inches deep by 192 long by 66 high in the fence
out side the fence area I have 36 deep by 40 by 42
so thats 264 in the fence and 35 out side the fence giving me a total of 299 hmm looks like i got shorted quite a bit?

3 cords should be 384 correct? can some body confirm this for me before I call up the guy and tell him he shorted me!

Neat! Really, quite neatly done.

The split lengths are 18 inches.

I have two rows deep so that's 36 inches deep by 192 long by 66 high in the fence
out side the fence area I have 36 deep by 40 by 42
so thats 264 in the fence and 35 out side the fence giving me a total of 299 hmm looks like i got shorted quite a bit?

3 cords should be 384 correct? can some body confirm this for me before I call up the guy and tell him he shorted me![/quote]

You are right. That is a total of 2.25 cords (roughly) according to my calculations.
Better give him a call quick

Yeah what Todd said about buttoning up in the fall...maybe Nov.

Very neat stacking Andy. I've never been farther than Ft Totton, my higher HQ, so where are you getting all this wood in a populated area like LI. Like yeah I know trees grow there but there's tons of people and houses around there too.

Looks very nice Andy99. The fence made a perfect place to stack the wood. It certainly won't fall over and will be easy to throw a tarp over for the winter.

Sad to hear about people stealing catalytic converters off the cars. The people who do this will continue to scavange others till they are caught. I have heard of this but now can bring it to light and know it is happening for sure.

Carl

Looks like 2 1/3 cords to me.

2.337 cords (or thereabouts). Did you compensate for the temperature of your tape measure when you took the readings?

fossil said:
2.337 cords (or thereabouts). Did you compensate for the temperature of your tape measure when you took the readings?

HA Ha ha Yup Its so hot out today I made sure I put the tape in the freezer for 15 minutes before using it...

I emailed my wood supplier and His wife emailed me back(shes does all the computer work) and explained he will be out late but will get back to me soon. He seemed like such a nice guy I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem. Of course I got him from craigs list and paid him cash. I did get a receipt and he marked 3 cords of wood $525 paid cash and I have his name and phone number. Im just hoping this was an honest mistake and he will make it right...

Hey Andy--
I've been following your saga for a week or two because I am in a very similar situation. I always wanted to switch to wood and now that I can't afford oil I have made that switch. Like you, I did some research, visited my stove store and bought a Homestead. Like you, I bought three cord of hardwood (cut, split, delivered) that was delivered on July 3. I spent most of the entire long weekend stacking it. Your stack looks great. I would have to agree that it looks a tiny bit smaller than three cord, but perspective can play tricks. Just think to yourself, or convert your measurements to three piles 4 feet deep, 4 feet tall, and 8 feet long. 384 cubic feet, I think.
Best of luck. Looking forward to sharing tips as we move along in this adventure. I hope you are a Mets fan! Best--Badger.

Not a big base ball fan more of a hockey fan. Life Long Islander Fan!

Im sure its short I measured it twice and I even used a program called convert.exe to make sure my math was right.

Andy99 said:
BrotherBart said:

You didn't even think of taking the fense off the front? Oh man that's funny! :lol:

OK I just had to do it!

Attachments

• wood 008.jpg
    wood 008.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 321
  • wood 010.jpg
    wood 010.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 312
Status
Not open for further replies.