My first Wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy99 said:
OK I just had to do it!
Must admit first time ever saw someone lock up their wood pile but if it's necessary you must do what you have to. I live in a small town and don't suspect I will have to do this but at the rate things are going it could be a real possibility for many.

When you have it delivered you get what you get, my experience is 90%. I have gotten good wood at $150-175 for four cords (actually 3.75) total. It's a cash business and they really aren't making any $. Why bust balls? Chalk it up as the cost of doing business. If you challenge them on it, the probably ain't comin back anyway. Hell, you got them to show up the first time!

gibson said:
When you have it delivered you get what you get, my experience is 90%. I have gotten good wood at $150-175 for four cords (actually 3.75) total. It's a cash business and they really aren't making any $. Why bust balls? Chalk it up as the cost of doing business. If you challenge them on it, the probably ain't comin back anyway. Hell, you got them to show up the first time!

Your kidding right! I paid $525 for three cords of wood. I want what I paid for. If he was a little short I would say no big deal but this was off by alot. I was being generous in my measurements. When I figure it out and In still short buy 85 cubic feet. I will buy wood from him every year if he does the right thing.

Needs a big "beware of wood" sign.

(like the 0ne on the bed post)

mtarbert said:
Andy,
What are you going to burn after October?
Mike

You don't think 3 full cords (if I get the rest) Will be enough to make it through the winter? I only have a homestead so the fire box is fairly small and I will still have to burn oil for hot water and heat in the back part of the house. I want the wood stove to heat 3/4 of the house. If it could do the whole thing great but I dont think it will.

Im not sure I will post a close up later...

I was posting my Peanutgallery comment on the stack in the photo. I (we) heat entirely with wood in Maryland and I would be very nervous if the pile I saw was all the wood I (we) had for the upcomming winter. Good luck to you.
Mike

Having a new stove seems to cause us all to use more wood the first year. Part of it is that we get in a hurry to crank it up and see how it is going to do and so we start burning earlier. The second thing is that after getting used to how the new stove burns we seem to use less wood from there on out. Taking a full season to get the burning technique dialed in with a new one is normal.

If you get another cord or two and don't use it all it has a good start on seasoning for the next year. Here we will go through five+ cords but we heat with wood only and burned one stove clear through May into June this year.

derecskey said:
So... er... what kind of wood is that? Dogwood?

I can't believe this one slipped right through the cracks. Dogwood? Ha! Now that right there was funny. :lol:

right over my head! whoosh

That was a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.