My fixer upper St Croix USVI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
Here is a pic of my next and final big project. The house faces the Caribbean Sea, which is 400 feet from the front porch. The previous owner ran out of money, hope I don't. A roof and some stucco and she will be good to go. Nope no windows needed never have to close them, just install some screens. Hurricane shutters outside them. Very different from what we are used to here. No heating minimal cooling, 78-88 year round.

DSCN0497.JPG

Are you out of your mind?

15 years in the carpentry business, plenty of time to work in Jan, Feb, and March.
I'll be happy to give ya a hand! ;)

Good luck with it!

Are you out of your mind?

maybe a little...... wife is onboard, she picked it out. there is a finished one just down the block. She wants this one finished to her specs. this is our retirement plan, Dec 2015

IP - I wish you luck (and maybe even a little jealous). Is that build considered "hurricane proof"?

And yes, I think you might be a tiny bit crazy. But I like your style.

IP - I wish you luck (and maybe even a little jealous). Is that build considered "hurricane proof"?

And yes, I think you might be a tiny bit crazy. But I like your style.

yes, 100% concrete, interior walls too. only live once, do not want to get old and say" when I was x I wish I would have". I know to many people that have said I will work x more years and then enjoy life, only to not make it. worst case I comeback and "start over" again. what am I going to do sit around? not my style.

My retirement plans are linked to a "goal", not a point in time on a calender. I also plan on my retirement home being close to water. I have the summer place all locked up (cabin on the mississippi), but trying to figure out the winter gig.

My retirement plans are linked to a "goal", not a point in time on a calender. I also plan on my retirement home being close to water. I have the summer place all locked up (cabin on the mississippi), but trying to figure out the winter gig.

Very interesting. I wonder what type of goal you refer to, perhaps a certain income from secure investments or just a simple dollar figure of net worth? I worry about things like paying for health care.

Very interesting. I wonder what type of goal you refer to, perhaps a certain income from secure investments or just a simple dollar figure of net worth? I worry about things like paying for health care.

All of the above. The only debt I carry is my home. Heath care, is of course, part of the equation as well. Not to be a copy cat-er, but I have also considered St Croix, Belize, and Puerto Rico as possible retirement destinations.

Reactions: Highbeam
All of the above. The only debt I carry is my home. Heath care, is of course, part of the equation as well. Not to be a copy cat-er, but I have also considered St Croix, Belize, and Puerto Rico as possible retirement destinations.

Well there you go . . . you can be Iron Pony's Cabana Boy during the winter months . . . in exchange for a room. :) ;)

Reactions: Jags
Well there you go . . . you can be Iron Pony's Cabana Boy during the winter months . . . in exchange for a room. :) ;)

You know, some things are better off not even contemplated. The image of Jags as a cabana boy is one of them.

Matt

You know, some things are better off not even contemplated. The image of Jags as a cabana boy is one of them.

Matt

Just whatever you do . . . don't picture Jags as a Cabana Boy wearing speedos . . . it will be an image that will never be able to be erased from your mind. :)

I am more of a mankini type anyhow...

Sorry, I can't even bring myself to post a pic.;sick
;lol;lol;lol

I . . . We thank you for that Jags! :)

bhaaaa. Love it, which one is Jags? I'm thinking front row far right? Definitely want to be in the front in that pic, the view from behind is worse I'm sure.

Ironpony , this place you got. Is it a permanent move for you, a winter place, vacation place? Wife and I often discuss selling our houses and buying a small place on the water, either in the US or elsewhere. It would be a another 5-10 years down the road, but curious to hear what your plans are and what drove you to do it.

So, we're heading to Antigua in the near future for a delayed honeymoon, booked a trip with a fishing guide, going tarpon fishing from float tubes. Guide sends a confirmation email on what to bring, wear, etc... He goes out of his way to mention "board shorts please" when saying that a swim suit of some sort would be most comfortable to wear. Guess he's seen one too many mankini's.

Seems that no one carries this mankini in stock here in the US. They're all 4-6 weeks shipping for the cheap version. I was going to get one and put it on when we got to the resort and tell my wife that I'm ready to walk down to the beach. Oh well, I tried.....

permanent, grew up on the water long island 29 years, moved to Ohio 24 years, want to be back on the water and warm. southern US to hot in summer, St Croix 78-88 year round. tired of the snow, need a change. looking forward to a new adventure.

Jags: My retirement plans are linked to a "goal", not a point in time on a calender. I also plan on my retirement home being close to water. I have the summer place all locked up (cabin on the mississippi), but trying to figure out the winter gig.
I hope this happens for you. For me a "goal" without a timeline is a dream or wish, nothing wrong with that, but add a timeline and the goal becomes reality. How about? -- "On [date] I am enjoying my mankini beach view in my winter home at [location]." Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.