my floor plan and heat distribution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
Here is my home layout. The black circles are the ceiling fans and the orange square is where the furnace is located.The red circle is where I placed a small 9 " fan on the floor blowing towards the kitchen and I use the ceiling fan in front of the stove only. The green dot is where the thermostat is located.I can notice no difference with the ceiling fan rotations.Which works best for you? Is there something else I should do? Just use the ceilings fans in all rooms? The stove is steel and I was told I didn't need a blower. Actually was told to just take $300 and substitute for newspaper. ceilings are all low . Thanks for the oopinions and advice

Attachments

• floor plan.jpg
    floor plan.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 237
Reversing the ceiling fan is more for comfort. I don't think it will change heat distribution greatly. No need to use ceiling fans except for in the area where the stove is located. Do you have a bigger table fan or box fan? If so, it will move more air at low speed. I'm using a 12" table fan for my office, but have an easier area to heat. Ranches are a challenge. Place it as close to the 2nd bedroom door opening as possible.

Have you tried pulling the cool air at ground level out of the bedrooms? Point the fans up the hallway. The vacuum behind should pull in warm air.

I reverse our ceiling fans on low to stir the air, which also avoids the stale air of a closed house.

Status
Not open for further replies.