My fuel comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thislilfishy

Oct 5, 2014
Canada
Well got my first propane fill for the season. I ran my furnace for 2 weeks this period before the stove was installed but the savings a pretty evident.

This years period was solely wood heat with a little propane back up, and two weeks of only propane:

Oct 14-Dec 9: 257.5L @ 65.9cents/L

Last year, this was solely propane heat, with on oil filled radiator style space heater at night in my daughters room.

Oct 22 - Dec 16: 853.8 L @ 59.9cents/L

The previous year was an extremely mild winter for us, but we used propane and 4 oil filled radiator space heaters. This crushed our hydro bill (about an additional $150/mnth!)

Oct. 16 - Dec 5: 598.6L @ 55.6cents/L

I'll let you do your own math for comparisons. I figured an approximate savings of $350 this month alone, estimating 700L usage. However I've spent about $300 for wood this year, unfortunately this year I got very lucky on this find, next year I expect to pay closer to 300-400 per cord of wood and will need to buy at least two cord, and will get another two cord scrounging (there's a huge beech that came down in the last storm that I plan on getting through the winter). So next years savings won't be quite as much. I have an option for fresh cut ash at 175/cord right now, so I might grab a few cord now and stack for seasoning over the summer. I won't decide until after Christmas on that option.

Ian

I'd offer you free firewood for the cutting but it is illegal to transport firewood out of our area due to the ash borer. Pine beetles, spruce budworm, ash borer, dutch elm disease, plus a few bad wind storms and I have more dead fall than I can EVER cut & stack before it rots. I just found another few 80' oaks that are on the ground in the back bush that I will never get to.

I can't say I'm saving money but I don't have to wear a tugue or parka around the house and I'm not joking old stone house no insulation wife likes the look of the rock walls
4000 bucks to heat with base board heaters;sick

love it. the crackling
of the stove instead of humming of the heaters:)

Status
Not open for further replies.