My Garn Barn....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tattooz

Jun 27, 2008
Maine
PB090010.jpg

We joke its only good for one thing not hooked up........
PB090009.jpg

Trehugr....

You are right..!!!! I am out in Freeport Durham area.....

Looks Good! Wish I were that far.

Alergic to Lobstah but a good fish boil would work for me ;-)

Are you going with a horizontal chimney?

Sawyer said:
Looks Good! Wish I were that far.

Alergic to Lobstah but a good fish boil would work for me ;-)

Are you going with a horizontal chimney?

Yup, I should have it all together by weeks end...... I will post up photos as it goes....

Looking good!! All new construction,too. It's gonna be a sweet set-up when you're done. So, what are you going with for a chimney? All stainless?

Looking good, we need loads of pics ... not really enough about these units, even on the web! When I find my wee place in the USA I'd be so tempted to have one of these.

Cheers

;-)

ricks said:
Looking good!! All new construction,too. It's gonna be a sweet set-up when you're done. So, what are you going with for a chimney? All stainless?

Oh, um, I see that I had a brain cramp. It says H O R I Z O N T O L. Sorry. Dumb question. :)

Stack straight out the back......... :)

Yes fire code 1 hour board around the entire garn room then filled with vermiculite SP

As soon as something else happens :) i promise to post photos.

Looking good, wish I were that far! Tomorrow I will saw the lumber for the Garn enclosure. Parts will be ordered shortly. Maybe by watching you and Jim I will avoid a few mistakes. Thanks for posting.

Tat - looks like you have a good start. But I have to ask - is that teflon tape on the pipe joints? I strongly suggest going with a liquid sealant like Rectorseal 5 or Blue Blocker (both available at Lowes/HD). Teflon tape can tear in the threads as you tighten, and can leave areas of thread without sealant. It may not be an issue, but it's a hell of a thing to find out later with hundreds of gallons in the tank if it is an issue.

Keep the pics coming. I added more to my site: http://www.pennbrookfarm.com/GARN/GARN6.html

My Garn Barn is almost done, but I still don't have the GARN connected to the HX yet. Very frustrating getting parts & fittings for 1.25 Wirsbo.

Jim,
Thanks I am going to ask him about that tomorrow......
Your's looks great, where did you get the elec. elements they sent mine through with the set up for them..?

Tattooz said:
Jim,
Thanks I am going to ask him about that tomorrow......
Your's looks great, where did you get the elec. elements they sent mine through with the set up for them..?

Aha, I guess you have a plumber doing the install? I am doing mine. Some plumbers do not like the liquid stuff because it is messy. As long as the plumber stands behind his work if there are leaks, I guess he is free to use whatever sealant he chooses.

The electric elements are from my local plumbing supply house, but you can get them anywhere. I got 4.5kw elements, not the 5.5kw elements that Dectra sells. Mine are Ruud brand, copper element. Be sure to use some lubricant like dielectric grease on the O-rings. It will help keep them from distorting when you tighten them. I learned that the hard way.

I forgot to mention it on my web page, but the enclosure obviously did not come with the holes. I laid out the 9x9 grid and cut them with a hole saw.

Phase one done.....
Now the boiler end in the house, then the barn
PB190007.jpg

WOW!!! Things are really moving now. Looks great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.