My Garn Barn....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ricks said:
An option, I've read about on this forum, I think it may have been Eric Johnson that does it..............................is, if you're sure the fossil fuel burner isn't needed, disable it and plug the flue pipe to slow standby loses. Then if you run out of wood or go away or whatever, you can unplug the flue, flip a switch and let the fossil fuel take over. I think that would work especially well for someone that's around most of the time, like me. You could burn wood or not burn wood, keep the oil/gas boiler hot and minimize standby loses.

You can also use a motorized damper to open and close the flue automatically. A signal to start the oil burner triggers the damper to open, and a switch on the damper triggers the burner when the damper fully opens (thereby preventing the potential danger of the burner firing with the damper closed).

Joe

PB250008.jpg

ricks said:
An option, I've read about on this forum, I think it may have been Eric Johnson that does it..............................is, if you're sure the fossil fuel burner isn't needed, disable it and plug the flue pipe to slow standby loses. Then if you run out of wood or go away or whatever, you can unplug the flue, flip a switch and let the fossil fuel take over. I think that would work especially well for someone that's around most of the time, like me. You could burn wood or not burn wood, keep the oil/gas boiler hot and minimize standby loses.

Makes sense Rick, I am a stay on the woodlot kinda person (some say hermit but not true!) so plugging the flue would not be a problem and then when I go on my once a year mini-trip I could really pull the plug!

BrownianHeatingTech said:
ricks said:

You can also use a motorized damper to open and close the flue automatically. A signal to start the oil burner triggers the damper to open, and a switch on the damper triggers the burner when the damper fully opens (thereby preventing the potential danger of the burner firing with the damper closed).

Joe

I'm not certain Joe, but wouldn't the Weil McClain controller kick out on purge if the flue was plugged?

ricks said:

Joe

Joe, That sounds pretty slick......

Oh Great, I just started to think I had a half a$$ed idea about all of the pipes, and Tat starts throwing wiring photos around :ahhh:

Just when you think you got a grasp on this project, wiring rears its ugly head.. HA HA HA :)

Yup, you're killing me........................

Tomorrow I am climbing inside the belly of the beast with my shop vac....... When I come out a hose is going in.....!!!!!!!! This FREAKIN project needs to end somewhere.....

Sawyer said:
I'm not certain Joe, but wouldn't the Weil McClain controller kick out on purge if the flue was plugged?

Depends upon the boiler. I wouldn't risk it.

Joe

Understood, Joe

Well, Today, the Garn barn is done except for the metal roof and the pipe work is done!!!!
Friday we start with the wiring ..........
I cleaned out the inside of the 1500 and started adding water!

OK here are some photos of the completed House boiler.
PB260006.jpg

What are you going to use to cover all the copper pipe? Are you planning to circulate the water to the heat exchanger constantly? I'm building a building to house a garn boiler. I have a boiler that basically comes on when the water temp drops to 120 degrees and shuts off at 180 degrees. How is your boiler set up to run? Your project looks excellent :)

EUP,
As soon as I get a feel for my min. useable temp from the Garn, my boiler, set up cold start, will come on at that temp. As soon as we test fire and run this thing for 48 hours, all the copper will be wrapped in insulating foam wrap.
The pumps that I am using have a trickle circulation so that water is constantly on the move otherwise, no the water will be in storage till called for.

Tattooz said:
As soon as I get a feel for my min. useable temp from the Garn, my boiler, set up cold start, will come on at that temp. As soon as we test fire and run this thing for 48 hours, all the copper will be wrapped in insulating foam wrap.
The pumps that I am using have a trickle circulation so that water is constantly on the move otherwise, no the water will be in storage till called for.

That temperature will vary based upon weather conditions, etc. You may want to consider using an outdoor reset controller.

Joe

Tattooz said:
EUP,

What brand pumps offer a trickle charge. I would think that would be a good feature for supply lines if there are worries of freezing.

Sawyer said:
What brand pumps offer a trickle charge. I would think that would be a good feature for supply lines if there are worries of freezing.

Wilo Stratos, for one. Very nice pumps. Just sit down before reading the price lists.

Joe

Yup, Joe nailed it.......... Wilo, and the sitting down part........ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.