My good deed for the day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We have a neighbor fairly close to us and can't see their house but they were to be gone and he asked me to keep an eye on the place for him, which, I do even if they don't ask. So this afternoon I take the atv for a short ride checking things on our place and also go to their place. Whoa! A good sized limb fell from one of his red oaks and it is partly on the house.

So, I came back to the barn and got the saw and a ladder. Getting it down was not a huge problem except I had to carry the saw up the ladder and back down. I should have grabbed a rope but didn't. So, I got the limb cut and off the roof. Not much damage.

But the big things is, this danged weather! It certainly reminded me why I don't cut wood in the summer months. It is miserable out there and wrestling a saw in this is not fun at all. My hat is off to you guys who do it in the summer but I'll still wait for winter to cut ours.

btw, the saw ran fine (first time to saw since last winter) and I didn't even sharpen it.

You are a great neighbor, Dennis. Good on ya! And yeah, it astounds me too how some folk can go at it in this heat. I cut up a fallen limb for a friend this morning and I was spent after 2 hours. It was in full shade. BTW, that fallen limb was red oak too.

Very good job Dennis. You're neighbors are very lucky to have someone looking after things like that.

WTG Dennis! I am sure that will be appreciated..

Ray

You are a good man Dennis.. Would love to live next door to you. Remember... No Good Deed goes Un-noticed.

Backwoods Savage said:
We have a neighbor fairly close to us and can't see their house but they were to be gone and he asked me to keep an eye on the place for him, which, I do even if they don't ask. So this afternoon I take the atv for a short ride checking things on our place and also go to their place. Whoa! A good sized limb fell from one of his red oaks and it is partly on the house.

So, I came back to the barn and got the saw and a ladder. Getting it down was not a huge problem except I had to carry the saw up the ladder and back down. I should have grabbed a rope but didn't. So, I got the limb cut and off the roof. Not much damage.

But the big things is, this danged weather! It certainly reminded me why I don't cut wood in the summer months. It is miserable out there and wrestling a saw in this is not fun at all. My hat is off to you guys who do it in the summer but I'll still wait for winter to cut ours.

btw, the saw ran fine (first time to saw since last winter) and I didn't even sharpen it.

Dennis nice job.

zap

Good neighbors are invaluable, nice job Dennis. Always pays to 1 or 2 saws sharp & ready.

It doesn't seem fair that the nieghbors have so much oak it is falling on the house, while you don't have any. They have the oak and good neighbors, and they're on vacation - life is good next door to savage.

So inquiring minds want to know . . . what happened to the "good sized limb" . . . or more specifically do you now have some oak in your wood pile or is it in the neighbor's wood pile? ;)

I just cut it enough to get it off the house. I think I probably made about 10 cuts and was done. I just threw everything in the driveway. I hope he doesn't come home drunk and not see the wood there!

Thanks everyone.

I might have been tempted to do a proper job and clear it all from his property, being the kind soul that I am.... ;-)

Ya, I thought about that but he needs the wood worse than I do. lol

Nice work.

Very nice of you. I agree with the whole not cutting in the summertime thing and I avoid it like the plague. I actually had a friend call me and ask if I wanted a ash tree he was going to have dropped and I told him I don't run the saw in 90 degree weather. Lucky for me he told me he would wait to :) drop it until this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.