My H Style sawbuck holds alot of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I get asked about this quite a bit so I thought I would post a couple of pics of some branches I cut today. This simple design holds alot of wood with no fear of hitting the sawbuck while you are cutting. For branches you cannot beat this simple design and I know some others have copied it and thought I would share it again.

Sorry for the messy look, my original Holtz Hausen is coming down and it is not too pretty right now. It is rubber roofing material I go for covering the wood. The sawbuck is just 3 HHHs with a brace around the bottom.

Attachments

• sawbuck3.jpg
    sawbuck3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,055
  • sawbuck4.jpg
    sawbuck4.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 972
  • sawbuck1.jpg
    sawbuck1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 948
Nice, I guess you have me thinking about one.

Happy New Year
Zap

WOW, that HH sure did shrink since I saw it last.

Ja, I thought of building a H style sawbuck for the simple reason that they can hold a lot. I do tend to put in bigger wood though (up to 6 inch dia, 8 feet long), so it would have to be strong. Do you find yourself kicking that bottom brace or having to reach with the saw? Maybe you rest your foot on top of it? I suppose in no time it will be buried in sawdust and snow anyway and I'm over analyzing it.

I've thought of canting it over like an italics H and putting the bottom cross brace on the inside instead of the outside, a foot up off the ground so there is room for my size 12 boot. What do you hold the verticals together with?

That style of sawbuck works especially well for cutting up slab wood too.

Thanks guys. SGT, you are right, the Holz Hausen is a little more than half gone, I did sell a half a cord out it and used the rest myself so far this winter. I know you were thinking of building one of these.

Ligetfa, good to hear from you. I regulary put in 6 inch limbs, so I do not think that would be a problem. I actually have 2X6s on the end and only have 2X4 going across the middle H and one time I did have a problem with the middle one because I was dropping a few of the large logs in. If I were to redo it (and it would be easy to change) I might go with 4X4s across the H's. Of course a double 2X4 would work fine too. You could brace it all the way to the ground if you would like. The sweet part is you never have to worry about hitting the sawbuck as you cut down.

There is really no reaching at all with the saw, I made it so my 20 inch bar easily cuts all of them at once. If you are strategic you can space the Hs so the center cut will give you your ideal log size. Mine is 20 inches. It really holds the logs in place when you are cutting, so it is a great safety device also. It is really slick when you see the saw go done and have dozens of splits just laying on the ground and the perfect size. You are right that there will be alot of sawdust after awhile, but the thing is light enough you can just pick it up and move it easily.

I need to get a sawbuck together - tired of bending over to cut a lot of round from long, small diameter limbs - I like this idea - thanks for posting. Cheers!

I used my first sawbuck on my grandfathers farm over 50 years ago. It was a Triple X. The Triple H holds even more.
It is your choice, but a sawbuck is still a must have tool.

Not sure how it could hold more, atleast all the pictures I have seen. Also there is usually a cross brace on the Xs that you have to be careful not hit with the saw when you come down.

Pretty clever. I just made this one last weekend from scraps. It'll hold 2 or 3 limbs with no bending over. Your backyard looks just like mine.

Attachments

• sawbuck0001.jpg
    sawbuck0001.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 525
Status
Not open for further replies.