My Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter experience...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May of 2014 Report: We had one hell of a winter, but I was well stocked with firewood from downed timber thanks to Hurricane Sandy. I've put a buttload of wood through my rebuild HF 30T splitter, with no problems.

Allow me to reiterate: If your splitter develops a cylinder leak at the seal, cease operation and investigate! If the cylinder rod retaining nut (located inside the cylinder) comes loose, this will cause a hydraulic oil leak, and could result in serious injury, should the nut come off completely.

That is all.
Carry on.

I squeezed in splitting 2 cords from the log pile somehow over the winter. After I stack that up (which, by the way is ALREADY stacked), start splitting some more.
I've had problems with the carb bowl gasket leaking, even though I drain it when not in use for a long time. Other than that, no problems. Vertical only.

zombie.jpeg
Holy old thread.

've had problems with the carb bowl gasket leaking, even though I drain it when not in use for a long time. Other than that, no problems.
Quit draining the carb. You are allowing the gasket to dry up.

Reviewing a bit, I had forgotten about the leaky tank that I had rewelded. Since I forgot about it, it must not have leaked at all! (knocks on wood/head).

I had a power steering cylinder rod nut to come off the piston rod on a JD 425 Garden Tractor. The only thing that stopped it from coming all the way out was the limit of the front wheel steering limiter. It was a welded cylinder and JD wanted $365 for a new one. Being a Machinist I part it apart on a lathe and sure enough the nut was off completely. Cleaned it, reassembled it with a correct amount of torque and type of Loctite and had a certified welder weld it back. It was out of warranty by about 6 months and JD made it known they didn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.