MY HARMAN DEALER ADMITTED HIS INSTALLERS TOOK CAN OF PAINT UPON INSTALLATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deesla

Feb 21, 2009
Southern NH
Not only is my Harman P68 defective, and Harman is standing behind it presently, but now come to find out from a
wonderful poster on this forum that the Harman stoves come with a small can of paint. I never got a
can of paint with my stove. My husband called the dealer today and was told that his installers may
have taken the can of paint and it's not a big deal! It is a big deal as it's theft of services and the
paint is peeling on the bolt of the door. I have reported this to H&H;and we want the dealer removed.
He's probably the worst Harman dealer there is. Not only does he not want to service our stove, but he
is probably hoarding cans of paint from customers' stoves! He's in Hookset, NH and I wouldn't recommend
him to anyone. This is one of Harman's new dealers!

Sorry you have to deal with such an idiot. There's several things I learned on this forum. I think the most important thing is to be careful who you buy your stove from. Sometimes its not that easy to check the dealer out beforehand, it turns out they are awful to deal with, and you are pretty screwed. I also had some trouble with my P68, but unlike your dealer, mine was very concerned about getting it straightened out, and he did. While the paint is a minor thing, it's just one more example of shoddy treatment by your dealer. If I remember your post, you bought your stove in October, so it isn't likely you can return it. At least it sounds like Harman is trying to help you out. Good luck. Maybe Harman can direct you to a more cooperative dealer!

You sure they just didnt forget it in the truck, what they gonna do with a $4 can of paint, steal 100 cans then sell them for $2?

Yes, dealer told my husband his installers took the can of paint. How petty! This is a new Harman dealer in Hooksett, NH. We have disputed charges and have asked him to take the stove back with its defects.

My can of paint was left in the hopper along with the manual, the cleaning tool, and some other papers. I went to use the can of paint on my vent pipe after the install and the paint can didn't work. Might have been better if they did take it - lol

Needless to say, I am not having any problems with my stove so a $4 dollar can of paint which seems petty to me, might just be another item on the list of "pissed-offness" if I was having issues with my stove and dealer. IMO though, forget about the paint can, get the real issues resolved.

Shane said:
Is this post serious? Worst dealer ever because they took a 4.00 can of paint? Really?

I think she's making these statements based on the trouble she's had
with getting the dealer to service her stove. See OP's other posts
regarding stove/dealer problems.

woodsman23 said:
For the money harman gets for a stove you would think the last thing would be the paint peeling off....
O' Don't get me started about the crappppy paint..you are absolutely 110% correct about the $$$ you pay should reflect the quality..it doesnt..I've seen much cheaper stoves hold up much better

Stove paint is stove paint. Forest paint products provides a vast majority of the paint used on both expensive and cheaper stoves. Usually if the paint fails it's been applied to a surface that wasn't properly prepped, or wasn't properly broken in. I did that with my own pellet stove. It was cold so I cranked that baby up and let it run. Burned the paint right off. Had I done the break in procedure it would have been fine.

I Sell Harman Stoves also. We usually give the homeowner the paint as soon as we take the stove into the house. The paint is for touch ups. Sometimes Th stove cart scratches a spot on the stove and we have to touch it up. Also many people get water stains on there stoves from Humidifier pots. You can use that small can to touch up yourself if needed. Its a nice gesture from Harman. Sorry your dealer took it out. By the way . we take the paint out upon delivery because we have had customers pour pellets on top of the paint can in the hopper. Sorry for your bad experience.

Normally, I say complaining about a little can of spray paint is total overkill.
But, I can understand how this would be an additional irritant for you considering
the issues you have been having with your stove and dealer response.

Is the dealer going to exchange out the stove?
Keep us posted how you make out.

I am not sure what kind of scratch is on the stove but I bought my XXV from the same dealer and he has been great with me.I even had one warranty issue that was adressed properly. I suspect you may be able get another can paint from him or Harman.I think I tossed mine once it was installed and its been scratch free.Sorry to hear of the problems and hope you can work things out,I am happy with my Harman and that dealer.

Shane said:
Is this post serious? Worst dealer ever because they took a 4.00 can of paint? Really?

Haha, Shane, I was thinking the same thing. I haven't been around for awhile so wasn't up to speed on the case at hand. I guess when things are going badly every little thing gets blown out of proportion. Heck, I've "stolen" paint can's, on accident. Stuff happens. But it you're already suspected of underhanded acts it's the last straw! String 'em up I say!

I'd be nice to hear both sides of the story.

Sean

We take the extra embers when we do startups on gas units! Otherwise they end up in the bag with the manual in some box of files in the basement, or in the garbage. Might as well make use of them.

We do leave the touch up paint for the customer that comes with wood units though. On new construction - what the builder does wih it after we leave who knows.

Jaffrey, NH dealer was good; he left my can of paint in the XXV but I think I lost it... Hope all ends well for you. If not Walmart sells the same paint in a bigger can for about the same price.

Maybe he was sniffing it....though watching Cops has taught me that people prefer to huff gold paint.
But it would explain a lot of the help the stove shops employ wouldn't it?

It coulda been worse. The installers scratched our Quadrafire, said "no problem, we have a can of paint in the truck", fixed the scratch, offered to let us keep the can when they were done, and then charged us $12 for the can! I'll sell it to you for $10!

Status
Not open for further replies.