My Harman P68 "squeels" when feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale K

Feb 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Recently, my Harman P68 has developed a "squeel" at the start and end of the feed cycle. I've removed the back guard and observed the operation of the feed motor and linkage. I've lubricated every external moving part, but the squeel still exits. My guess is that it's coming from the feed screw. Anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what it might be and how I might get rid of it? I've thought about trying to feed some sort of lubricant (like parafin wax) into the screw along with the pellets.

Your best bet might be to run the hopper dry & pull the auger. Take a smooth file & bench the OD of the auger flights. Sometimes the OD will wear to almost a sharp edge & this can create a harmonic squeal. You will have to remove a rear shroud & the auger motor to get the screw out...While you've got it out, shine a light down the auger housing tube & see if there are any blemishes on the ID....Use an emery whip on them if there are... HTH

Your best bet might be to run the hopper dry & pull the auger. Take a smooth file & bench the OD of the auger flights. Sometimes the OD will wear to almost a sharp edge & this can create a harmonic squeal. You will have to remove a rear shroud & the auger motor to get the screw out...While you've got it out, shine a light down the auger housing tube & see if there are any blemishes on the ID....Use an emery whip on them if there are... HTH
Thanks. Once it gets above zero here in Wisconsin, I'll give that a try!

I get a carbon build up when stove idles for a long time and have to get at the mouth of the auger and scrape out with 1/4 inch screwdriver. Usually happens at one in the morning of course.

Reactions: Hoot23
I get a carbon build up when stove idles for a long time and have to get at the mouth of the auger and scrape out with 1/4 inch screwdriver. Usually happens at one in the morning of course.

Or when you just sitting down to watch a movie.

Like Bio said, a good scraping at the mouth of the auger will do the trick. If you do pull the auger, you might as well pull the slide plate and clean up there too. Just make sure it goes back in the the way you took it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.