1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

My Hawk

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Blue Vomit, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    eastern PA
    Finally got a decent pick of this guy. He hangs out by my stacks almost every day looking for mice, chipmunks, frogs, bugs, whatever. I believe he is a red shouldered hawk. P1000286 (2).jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Looks like he's got his eye on something.
  3. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Nice shot.

I can imagine sitting with my camera here aimed at my woodstacks whilst trying to explain to my wife that I was really waiting for a Hawk to appear.......... ;)
  4. Blue Vomit

Loc:
    eastern PA
    I hear ya. He was coming around so often It wasnt hard. I havnt seen him since the pic though, I think he's camera shy.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice picture
    Guarding your stacks ;)
  6. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    s/he's a juvenile broad winged hawk. Red shouldered are reddish in the front. Just been on his own for a short while. Nice pic!
    ScotO likes this.
  7. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Reading things like this make me feel so much better about my wood addiction, knowing others have to make the same explanations to their significant others. haha :)

And incredible shot by the way, beautiful hawk and an even more beautiful backyard!
  8. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Nice pic Blue. I have a coopers hawk that hangs out here. Loves the taste of my little birds at the birdfeeders.
    I also like the look of your fence...very interesting.
  9. Blue Vomit

Loc:
    eastern PA
    Thanks Kat
    I thought s/he was from this year. I think I have seen the mom before, quite a bit larger/fatter. I havnt seen either for some time now. I hope they have just moved on to better hunting grounds. I hope s/he comes back to visit. Ill keep stacking wood and attracting lunch for him/her.
  10. Blue Vomit

Loc:
    eastern PA
    I used to try to keep the squirrels away. They pillage my bird feeders too much. Not any more, now I feed them. My neighbor told me she saw a large hawk snatch a squirrel right off the side of a big oak tree a few years ago. Ide like to see a hawk dine on one of those tree rats.
  11. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    We have lots of hawks, along with scads of other birds. Just about 3 years back, my wife was in the kitchen one morning looking down the hill toward our neighbors' hay field. She saw a mother duck, followed closely by a train of 5 or 6 little very new ducklings, all walking in the direction of the neighbors' big pond. Suddenly, down came 2 hawks (I figure this was likely a hunting lesson), each of which flew away with a duckling firmly clenched in talons. My wife was actually on the verge of tears. Of course, had she witnessed the hawks take rats or mice she would have been on the verge of cheers. ;lol
  12. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Great pic! I've been trying to get a pic of a young looking, awkward cooper's or similar accipter youngster we have around. It's been calling repeatedly over the past several days, I think it way have just been told to "Get a job" ;) Anyone know if this the time of year juvineies would get booted here in western VA?