My head is spinning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm work a lot ( electric company, don't hate me) so I just have to learn and then teach wife. Thanks again guys, when I narrow down my search I'm sure i will have more question on that.

If your wife is at home freezin' her buns off, she might learn and teach you! ;) At least that's how it goes at my house! ha!

Reactions: milleo
Don't rule out the Fireview, you'll easily get 8-10 hour burns, so loading 3 times/day in 24/7 season. It's a nicer price point too.

Don't rule out the Fireview, you'll easily get 8-10 hour burns, so loading 3 times/day in 24/7 season. It's a nicer price point too.

And also beautiful, from the pics anyway. mfglickman and Backwoods Savage have the 1st hand experience to guide you on that model. All beautiful stoves...

So you are 100% on the wood then? Start cutting (or buying, which might be easier to get you started) so you can get it stacked and covered sooner than later. Every month helps.

Can you sketch out your house to for us all to follow your floor plan better?

Ok , I talked to the woodstock people today, very nice. I inquired about the progress hybrid. My main and only concern is I don't want to roast in stove room, been researching all day today on moving heat around the house. I really love the reported long burn times, just need to find more info on wether the heat output is pretty managable. I'm going check my clearances tonight on my hearth. Side note, my fireplace was built 10 years ago it has a raised semi circle hearth, I don't have basement under this addition so I can't see, but I'm assuming that the hearth is supported right???. Anybody know code for that.
This is where I stand. 70% progress hybrid
30%. Hearthstone clydesdale.

Agreed, it would help to know more about the house. How many sq ft total are you trying to heat? My gut feeling is that the Progress will bake you out of the addition room. What did Woodstock say?

Not including the the hall and bedrooms, I'm trying to heat about 900sqft the rooms are all in a row with 8ft doorway in between them the stove at the farthest end, with cathedral ceiling in addition. I really like the hybrid, but I don't think the kids and neighbors would like to see me walk around the house naked. The woodstock guy was honest and said that obviously the addition would be the hottest room, but can be done by moving air around.

Here are a few pics of my layout. From front to back, back to front, kitchen in middle, and the fireplace. Excuse the mess I'm just did some renovation, I opened up the doorway. From front to back is 50 ft image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Pallet Pete
My main and only concern is I don't want to roast in stove room, been researching all day today on moving heat around the house.

That was my main concern when I had to choose between a Quadra Fire 4300 and the 5700. The stove room is also where my wife and I watch netflix movies almost every night. I was concerned that we would have to "endure" a hot room with the larger stove. I had to weigh this concern along side my primary goal of acheiving an overnight burn which here in Minnesota is a real challenge. I kept leaning toward the 5700 and decided that I would just build a smaller fire if it got to hot in the room.

In the end I chose the 5700 with the 3 cubic foot firebox. It just seemed right to me. Sofar I am 100% confident that I made the right choice with the big stove.

We can watch TV in the same room with it no problem. Just a smaller fire. It does help that the stove is on the lower level and we have an upper level where our bedroom is. The heat naturally moves upstairs.

Surprisingly the other rooms in the lower level are very comfortable. I attribute this to our running the stove 24/7. Once the materials in the house are warm they radiate heat.

Good luck on your choice. If you are listening to the experts on this forum you will not be disappointed.
MnDave

Very nice home! However, from a heating perspective it's a long tunnel. The good news is that with a fan placed on the floor at the opposite end of this tunnel, blowing cold air at floor level, toward the stove room, you should be able to get a reasonably even temp throughout the house. The cool air will help cool down the stove room and it will be replaced by the stove room's hot air. Still I would be careful not to oversize the stove. Don't go much larger than 2-2.5 cu ft for the stove whether insert or freestanding.

Have you checked the clearances on the PH yet? It has larger side clearnaces than some others because it's a side loader. Just a thought with the round hearth.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned if the PH is sized a little big for your square footage. As others have mentioned, you can burn a smaller, shorter fire in shoulder season. Our stove is "too big" for our square footage as well (see sig for specs). If you scrounge, set aside stuff like willow and box elder for that time of the year. Actually, we're still burning box elder at the moment.

Stack however you prefer, as long as air can get around the stacks. Sheds are for seasoned wood, you'll want unseasoned stuff to be out in the open to get wind and sun so it will season. We don't have a shed.

Progress owner here. How is your insulation? If your house is tight and well insulated I think the Progress will be a bit much. If not, I think it would work well for you. You probably wouldn't be loading full very often, but that's okay. I can still relight from coals after 12 hours if I fill the box about 60%. I'd say the Fireview would really be the better size. But, if you are set on the Progress, you can have that work very similiar to the Fireview by just using smaller loads and you'd have a ton of extra firepower should you need it.

You say 900 square-feet not counting the bedrooms, but the bedrooms should count. They are spaces that need heat too right? What's the total size of your house?

Neither houses Ive heated with my stove have had "open concept" designs, 1 cape 1200ft2 & 1 saltbox colonial 2000ft2, both heated with a wood insert. Our stove room is warmer than the rest of the house always, and is where we watch TV etc. I can't think of being uncomfortable in there due to the heat really. Guests who come over all bundled up in sweaters can be in for a bit of a surprise, but I don't push the stove if we have company.

Our old cape was compartmentalized and under insulated, I was able to heat it quite well just by moving cold air to the stove.

A floor fan always pushes cool air into the stove room which dilutes the warmer air.

You'll learn your stove as you burn in it, this will help regulate heat output vs heat needs.

My wife, 5 year old daughter, and 2 dogs (me too) are HOOKED on the wood heat feel, especially in wet winter weather!

Progress owner here. How is your insulation? If your house is tight and well insulated I think the Progress will be a bit much. If not, I think it would work well for you. You probably wouldn't be loading full very often, but that's okay. I can still relight from coals after 12 hours if I fill the box about 60%. I'd say the Fireview would really be the better size. But, if you are set on the Progress, you can have that work very similiar to the Fireview by just using smaller loads and you'd have a ton of extra firepower should you need it.

You say 900 square-feet not counting the bedrooms, but the bedrooms should count. They are spaces that need heat too right? What's the total size of your house?

Including the hall way and bedrooms I'd add another 600sqft . The hall to the bedroom is 40ft away from stove. Could I expect the heat to bang a right down the hall and heat bedrooms. My dilemma is: with regards to my stove being on far end of house, am I being unrealistic to think I can heat my whole house without making back room a sauna, or should I focus on just the 900sqft. I'm also considering putting bedrooms on a separate heating zone

If you are cold starting your stove every night (as you stated at first) you'd be less likely to have that goal met. Steady heat from your stove (24hour burning), good insulation, and air flow will help you obtain your goal.

I'm going check my clearances tonight on my hearth. Side note, my fireplace was built 10 years ago it has a raised semi circle hearth, I don't have basement under this addition so I can't see, but I'm assuming that the hearth is supported right???. Anybody know code for that.

Sometimes you just need a local expert.This might be hard if your don't trust dealers. Do you trust chimney sweeps? Masons? Somewhere nearby there will be an expert who will know how to check your hearth. Or, you could assume and go with the best advice you can get from your fellows.

Okay, I'm getting a.little sarcastic here, I admit it. But it's been a while since I've been around here. Glad to see things haven't changed much. BTW, I'm one of those crooks known as dealers around here. I share here because I figure I can add to the "ether" of common knowledge and maybe help someone. But I admit to feeling defensive every time I come here. I find it hard to believe there are that many bad dealers out there. Or could it be that the dealers are not the only problem?

Anyway,some things just need to be seen with the naked eye. The folks on this forum are fantastic and they will get you pointed in the right direction. But someone you trust, and with the appropriate knowledge and skills, needs to look at your hearth and fireplace.

Including the hall way and bedrooms I'd add another 600sqft . The hall to the bedroom is 40ft away from stove. Could I expect the heat to bang a right down the hall and heat bedrooms. My dilemma is: with regards to my stove being on far end of house, am I being unrealistic to think I can heat my whole house without making back room a sauna, or should I focus on just the 900sqft. I'm also considering putting bedrooms on a separate heating zone

The bedrooms will be cooler, no doubt. But, they will see some heat from the stove. With a small fan on the floor at the far end of the house adjacent to the hallway blowing towards the stove, I think you'd see decent heat back there. Of course, shutting the bedrooms doors at night will make them much cooler.

If you're doing cold starts a lot and considering your layout, you might want to look at a more convective design like a Pacific Energy to move more air faster. That said, with proper air flow I think you'll be all right. you have some nice big openings between those three main rooms. How's your insulation?

Reactions: mfglickman
Seaken, believe me I sensed the sarcasm. All the dealers I went to were extremely nice and knowledgable, however me being a layman to wood stoves, it's tough when a "expert" tells me one thing and another "expert" tells me the opposite. So at worst in my not trusting dealers, I'm 50% right. I try to balance what I learn here to what they tell me. It's not like they have to sell me on the idea of buying a stove, I'm going to buy one, just want help on which one. As with anything the truth lies somewhere in the middle, and that middle for me is this forum. From talking to the woodstock guys I was impressed , I told them that I really wanted there most expensive stove, and they told me I might not need that much stove, honesty works for me and that gets my business. As for the hearth being supported I'm going to contact town to see if they have plans for when the permits were pulled for the addition. That is if I trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.